• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Changing 45 to 40 in the stretch from Deer Lake to Watersound is simply unneeded. Nothing but pine trees through there. 35 was fine through the stretch from Watersound to Alys, too, even in heavy season. I'm all for 30 from Eastern Lake to Seaside - always worried about the number of people and cars moving around in there, and there's lots of pedestrian crosswalks. 40 from Grayton to Blue Mountain seems equally slow, mostly trees there, no businesses, no crosswalks.

All in all, I think the blanket solution is too heavy handed. A few localized reductions would have been fine. If we start seeing deputies with radar, we'll know that revenue generation was the real reason. Conspiracy theorists will note what time of year the deputies are out too - wouldn't be a good idea to give too many tickets to vacationers, would it?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Changing 45 to 40 in the stretch from Deer Lake to Watersound is simply unneeded.

Noticed yesterday that the 40mph zone is much smaller than the old 45mph zone. You can see it on the map.

Note that the map is suggested speed limits, and may not be the actual speed limits - Western Lake is showing as 40 but is actually 25, and will remain at least until the new pedestrian bridge is built.

30a-speed-limits.jpg

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Kurt, that map is from the Genesis Study.

Does anyone remember this study? This is the study that the planning department uses, not public input. You can find it on the counties website, some of the ideas are good, some WERE good and need to be rethought.

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
Here is what was approved in August for retrofit of speed limit signs on CR30-A and a link to a map. The golf carts aren't legally supposed to be on sections with posted speed limits of more than 35 MPH.

C.R. 30A Speed Limit Signage Retrofit
Mr. Douglass stated that the signs along C.R. 30A are in need of repair. He reported that the Genesis Group performed a study which highlighted speed limits along C.R. 30A and would like to move forward with implementing the replacement of the speed limit signage based on the study.
Commissioner Comander questioned if the speed limit would be changed. Mr. Douglass replied that the most significant change would be that some areas currently 45 mph will be changed to 40 mph . He said that the biggest benefit of the study is the speed limit transitions approaching intersections and residential areas.
The Board concurred to allow Public Works to move forward with the replacement of the speed limit signs along C.R. 30A

https://walton.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=2584826&GUID=F980E78A-82DB-491D-B8E3-4BA35E0BE246

Thank you for the info and link!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
If they really are changing it to 25 mph in Seagrove I'm glad. They've had the Alys Beach stretch at 25 for years, while the stretch past the very busy Tom Thumb/downtown Seagrove has been inconsistently higher.

But regardless of the speed limits, I still think it's a mistake to sanction LSV's anywhere on 30A. It's not an enclosed community.

Last edited:

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
but sometimes it is... including me and friends who are ready to get somewhere. It's time to slow down. I was in my girlfriends car when she got busted a few months ago! Yes, we are guilty too.

Used to be able to do 80 where Watersound is now, when I was young and invincible. Soon, with the prominence, it will be 25 mph.

Oye veh.