• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
There is a chance of ice as far down as the costal area and the temperatures will only get above freezing for a few hours Wednesday. Russell Beaty, with Walton County Emergency Management, told the Walton Commissioners the situation has changed and more of the area will likely get some type of ice accumulation. He said the Weather Service has a high confidence much of our area will be affected negatively due to ice on powerlines and trees. Beaty stressed that the weather will likely cause impacts that will continue through Thursday.

The Walton Commissioners declared a local state of emergency. The county’s non emergency personnel will be closed through noon Thursday. The temperature is expected to rise midday on Thursday. Judge Kelvin Wells said the Constitutional Officers are in agreement with the closings.

Wilmer Stafford with Walton County Public Works said they have sand in the trucks and will be working in coordination with the FDOT. Walton Sheriff Mike Adkinson said they will coordinate with the county and the deputies will check roads. If you have questions or want to report an issue, call the Walton County Sheriff’s Office regular non-emergency numbers at 892-8111 or 267-2000. If you life or property is threatened, call 911.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Walton, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Escambia schools are closed Tuesday and wednesday. Holmes County Schools are closed Wednesday and Thursday. NWFSC closed Tuesday and possibly Wed. There are other cancellations and the list can be found at our website through the link above.

If at all possible, it is always advised to stay off the roadways during these conditions. If you must travel, the following precautions have been issued:

Due to possible icy road conditions, please proceed with extreme caution when traveling. Special attention should be paid to bridges and other higher elevation areas. Bridges can ice over before the adjacent roadways and this condition will affect wooden bridges before paved bridges due to the moisture already present in the wood.

Be cautious of black ice conditions as it can be hard to recognize ice on newly paved blacktop surfaces.

Residents are encouraged to not run sprinklers onto roadways during this time; as doing so may present a locally icy hazard condition for drivers. In addition, where possible, it is advised that residents winterize all outside water spigots with additional information to keep them from freezing.

Seagrovestateofmind

Beach Lover
Mar 9, 2012
Hoover AL and Seagrove Fl
Birmingham is a MESS! Tried to get home twice. Took over an hour to get ou of my parking deck. All family members stuck at their places of employment and my two dogs are at home locked in a crate. Noone nearby to get them out. Driving me crazy. May be looking at a 6.5 mile walk tomorrow.

Hubby is snowed in at a Hampton Inn NW of Atlanta. All of the restaurants are closed. The staff at the Hampton graciously made fresh waffles and fruit for the guests for dinner. I don't know if he can get out of there in the AM due to icing on the roads. I'm home SW of Atlanta. Thankfully I went to Publix early yesterday, made a huge pot of vegetable soup, got fruit for my cereal for breakfast, so I'm good. Hubby is the new C.O.O. of a large international company, so I'm sure that someone at the company with a monster truck can pick him up in the AM and get him where he needs to go.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Atlanta is a mess as well. They called off the winter advisory/snow, everyone went to work and having difficult time getting home.