• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I just got this from VRBO/Homeaway in my email:

Dear Florida Short Term Rental Property Owners and Managers,

The Florida Legislature is discussing changes concerning short term rentals. The proposed legislation, HB307 and SB356, will affect your rental operation.

To read the proposed legislation, visit the links below:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=51421 http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2014/0356

To discuss the process, visit Community from HomeAway

Anyone have opinions on how this would likely affect short term rentals in South Walton? I always thought Walton County had the authority to pass ordinances governing short term rentals, but it seems like this bill would have to be passed to give them that authority.

Like other small businessmen, I'm wary of any laws being passed specifically governing my business, especially at the state level. I've heard of some localities wanting to propose laws to ban rentals less than 30 days and some say this is a precursor to that. I have a hard time believing Walton County would or could do something that extreme as it would obviously hurt property prices and slash income from bed tax revenue, but that seems to be one of the potential outcomes of this proposed change.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
I think, its a bunch of bs. from what I gathered is gov'ts who had laws in affect before 2011 were never hurt by this law which went in affect in 2011 and cease all new municipalities from having new ruls but having no affect on older ones ,like Walton county. one of the examples the new legislation used in being able to force rental homes to have signs posted in there fron yard. I recall 2 yrs ago Walton county was looking at that. I don't believe this affects Walton county but even if it did I'd be staggered if waltong county touches this golden egg as they make a fortune

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
How does the county make money off of the rentals? I'm perfectly well aware of property taxes, but the majority of the taxes charged on the rent go to the TDC and the State.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
What about the $100's of millions in sales tax these 3 million vistors spend a yr. if they screw with rentals and these people don't come millions of jobs will also be lose

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
What about the $100's of millions in sales tax these 3 million vistors spend a yr. if they screw with rentals and these people don't come millions of jobs will also be lose

Well, if they would just ban rentals it would take care of the other "huge problem" that others on SoWal see with tourists renting street legal golf carts (LSVs).