• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I have seen an alligator surfing (yes) in the Gulf. An insanely large bear eating from my trash can in my driveway. A Bobcat prance in front of me like a show pony in the middle of the road in GB state park. A big fat bull shark swim slowly 3 feet from shore with tourists all around...

But I am wondering, has anyone seen a dolphin swim in the outfall of Western Lake when it is open into the gulf?

If so, pls share... If not then is it possible?

Could a dolphin swim into the lake (like where we park our 4x4's and our kids play and we ride YOLO Boards right near the gulf)?

Thx!!!!!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Great question. I've seen sea turtles in the lake but not a dolphin.

We have dolphin and their babies swim in the bayou in spring along with gators.

I wonder if they know not to enter the lake, they could be trapped. The pass is rarely deep enough, I would think.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
I'm not aware of it ever happening, but it certainly is possible. I've seen dolphin far upstream in Lagrange and Mallett Bayous (much closer to Freeport than to the Gulf) so frequently it's not even interesting anymore. They have little problem with brackish water. If, hypothetically, one were to swim into a lake and the outfall closed before it got out, that could be a problem, though. Depending on the size of the lake, how long the outfall remained closed and miscellaneous environmental conditions such as rainfall, pollution, temperature, food supply, etc. the dolphin could easily find itself in distress.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
So based on what ya'll have said so far then is there anyone that would dispute this statement---

It is unlikely/rare but it is possible that dolphins could swim into the outfall of Western Lake if/when it is open and the water is deep enough...

Thoughts?

thanks!!!!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
My thoughts are that you would have to have average depth data of the Western Lake outflow and do an analysis combining this data with the average size of a dolphin, taking into account the speed and strength of the dolphin versus speed and strength of the outflow current and it's relationship to the constantly diminishing depth of the outflow. After that, you could just guess...

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My thoughts are that you would have to have average depth data of the Western Lake outflow and do an analysis combining this data with the average size of a dolphin, taking into account the speed and strength of the dolphin versus speed and strength of the outflow current and it's relationship to the constantly diminishing depth of the outflow. After that, you could just guess...

Don't forget the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
So based on what ya'll have said so far then is there anyone that would dispute this statement---

It is unlikely/rare but it is possible that dolphins could swim into the outfall of Western Lake if/when it is open and the water is deep enough...

Thoughts?

thanks!!!!

who wants to know?