• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks for the update. 30A is a resort community now, not a sleepy "highway" connecting hamlets. Density is a given now, depending on season, and the golf cart aka LSV is ubiquitious, fun, low speed (i.e. safe) and the transportation of choice along 30A now.

I would rather ride around 30A in an LSV rental than a stupid ass SUV anyday. It's going to be slow ride anywhere you go, and its just more fun to have the top down.

The vehicle of choice is not the golf cart. There are still many more cars, trucks, and SUVs than golf carts, and LSVs - which are not the same thing.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
You are inaccurate about LSV's...majority of locals and homeowners do not want them.
Only those looking for a financial return try to promote inaccuracies and
do not think twice about harming the very "sleepy hamlets" that we love and cherish.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Sure, a bigger majority don't wear seat belts in these modified LSV golf carts. but they're rolling around at 15 to 20 miles an hour, I would NOT wear a seat belt either myself. No point, I'll assume the risk, thank you, including the risk of a "ticket tax". As for drinking and driving, that's illegal but the harm to society of being typsy in an LSV is less than the typsy ladies who have three martinis and drive around in their tinted windowed gargantuan SUV's. Ask an insurance actuary, they're pretty good at modeling these risks looking both backward based on claims for injury liability, property damage etc.

Now as far as potential harm to self, you're probably better off and safer being typsy as many tourists are in your big LX 470 SUV, than you are in an LSV. potential harm to society, is probably statistically way lower however.

Allstate, State Farm etc., are fairly good predictors of risk, perhaps you should take your data to them, in case they havent' crunched the numbers and probabilities. As it stands it costs a fraction to insure an LSV than it does the other vehicles of choice that you prefer to be rolling around 30A.

Perhaps their extensive modeling of risk is way off. I think that they're probably close to the truth, which is that they are FAR SAFER on average, despite your pointing out your anecdotal observation that people have an open can of miller lite in the dash, and aren't wearing seat belts. Do you think ALLSTATE doesn't know this? If your version of risk is remotely accurate, than one thing we'll be sure to see is that rates on insuring LSV's will soar from current levels. Keep in mind, the insurers have been at this a while, and have been underwriting LSV's for years now, and they're actually in the business of making money. To make money, they have to underwrite fairly accurately, and invest the premiums.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
...] Perhaps their extensive modeling of risk is way off. I think that they're probably close to the truth, which is that they are FAR SAFER on average, despite your pointing out your anecdotal observation that people have an open can of miller lite in the dash, and aren't wearing seat belts. Do you think ALLSTATE doesn't know this? If your version of risk is remotely accurate, than one thing we'll be sure to see is that rates on insuring LSV's will soar from current levels. Keep in mind, the insurers have been at this a while, and have been underwriting LSV's for years now, and they're actually in the business of making money. To make money, they have to underwrite fairly accurately, and invest the premiums.

Gee, thanks! Now I can go tell my Mom that my lower motorcycle insurance premiums proves definitively that motorcycles are inherently safer than cars. She'll be so relieved to hear that. The insurance companies can't possibly be wrong .... unless ... um ... hmm ... maybe they don't actually factor my safety into their rates (?)(!)(?). Whoa oh. Better alert the actuarials.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Gee, thanks! Now I can go tell my Mom that my lower motorcycle insurance premiums proves definitively that motorcycles are inherently safer than cars. She'll be so relieved to hear that. The insurance companies can't possibly be wrong .... unless ... um ... hmm ... maybe they don't actually factor my safety into their rates (?)(!)(?). Whoa oh. Better alert the actuarials.

Lenzoe,

yeah, I think (not gospil here) that they do factor that in, i.e. your saftey. They've been at this for a while (Allstate et al.)

One thing I learned in lawschool, apart from how to drink heavily, is that it's tough to sue yourself. Yes, Motorcycles also lead to far less liabiltiy claims. Riders may get into accidents and have to sue SUV drivers, however claims against LSV drivers (with can o- bud light in cup holder to boot) tend to be mathematically much lower.

If its all about safety, and not the desire to speed through 30A at a comfortable 40 MPH, then LSV's aren't your enemy sir. If they don't pull over at every chance during higher speed strecthes such as the tiny bit at deer lake, I think LSV drivers should be summarily placed in cages for 1 hour in the Seaside ampitheater lawn.

LSV's yay! SUV's, bahhhh

they're more funner

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
To call 30 a highway is quite a misnomer. It is a rural road never intended for the current level of traffic and has failed traffic density studies done in the past. If not the tourist who would you blame for the current situation? If they feel the same way as you say then why don't they just stop renting these things and the problem would go away. Of course they won't but lament other people who do, kind of like NIMB numbnuts.

Catmoney, you're on the money. 30A aint no highway. Guess who's better off as a result of this being the best resort in America. On the one hand, you have:

the waiters who can get great tips, realtors who can make bank, lawyers who can make less bank, but charge handsomely for title searches/closings, restaurant owners who can survive and thrive if done well, bicycle renting outfits who can thrive, real estate rental companies who can make great money wisely off of other people's capital, boutiques retailers who can do well, artists who have people to consider purchasing their works, construction contractors and homebuilders who are busy again.... this all creates taxes that support a number of worthy jobs, but whose income and job security is (they think) unrelated.

If you work for the government, you basically don't care about economic activity unless cutbacks got so severe that your seniority wasn't high enough, and so you may prefer to not be interupted by LSV's on your cruising of 30A, by the people who make it possible to have a livelihood for so many others.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Sure, a bigger majority don't wear seat belts in these modified LSV golf carts. but they're rolling around at 15 to 20 miles an hour, I would NOT wear a seat belt either myself. No point, I'll assume the risk, thank you, including the risk of a "ticket tax". As for drinking and driving, that's illegal but the harm to society of being typsy in an LSV is less than the typsy ladies who have three martinis and drive around in their tinted windowed gargantuan SUV's. Ask an insurance actuary, they're pretty good at modeling these risks looking both backward based on claims for injury liability, property damage etc.

Now as far as potential harm to self, you're probably better off and safer being typsy as many tourists are in your big LX 470 SUV, than you are in an LSV. potential harm to society, is probably statistically way lower however.

Allstate, State Farm etc., are fairly good predictors of risk, perhaps you should take your data to them, in case they havent' crunched the numbers and probabilities. As it stands it costs a fraction to insure an LSV than it does the other vehicles of choice that you prefer to be rolling around 30A.

Perhaps their extensive modeling of risk is way off. I think that they're probably close to the truth, which is that they are FAR SAFER on average, despite your pointing out your anecdotal observation that people have an open can of miller lite in the dash, and aren't wearing seat belts. Do you think ALLSTATE doesn't know this? If your version of risk is remotely accurate, than one thing we'll be sure to see is that rates on insuring LSV's will soar from current levels. Keep in mind, the insurers have been at this a while, and have been underwriting LSV's for years now, and they're actually in the business of making money. To make money, they have to underwrite fairly accurately, and invest the premiums.

Wow, you really live in an alternate reality. See ya in the morgue then.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
The waiters, realtors,lawyers,restaurant owners,bike shops,rental agency,stores,artists and builders have been here from the beginning. They were needed and wanted then and they are still needed and wanted today. Their long term commitment enhance our communities . They aren't a flash in the pan. They did not suddenly swoop down to 30A last spring shoving dangerous vehicles down communities throats trying to make a fast buck. You sir and your LSV's are not needed or wanted in our hamlets.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
ok, that's inspirational ... I didn't know we were debating the desirability, need or want for all of the people making a livelihood. I guess with the false dichotomy you've eloquently, yet confusingly constructed, all those folks are now in agreement with you, that the SUV shall reign, and the LSV be banished to greener minded communities elsewhere.

OK, I'll just sit back and wait for insurance rates on LSV's to skyrocket. Alternatively its possible that Allstate and Statefarm have really screwed up their underwriting, and they'll go out of business.

I guess their actuaries aren't focused on the fabulous fact that realtors, lawyers, waiters etc etc, "were needed and wanted then [BY GOSH] and still are needed and wanted today" when you have your discussion with them.

I didn't realize I had claimed that I didn't want or need all the people making a living.

Confused and Amused,

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Does it not occurr to you how completely frustrating it would be for full time residents that work and live along 30-A to conduct all their business, all their shopping , all their doctor and dentist appointments, all their entire lives, motoring at less than 25 mph?