• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
SKunkapy, well reasoned. very well reasoned, including your suggestions about the vendors etc. I think beyond regulation, one important thing is having the Vendors drill it into people's heads to PULL OVER, when going up or down 30A if there is traffic behind that can move faster than 30MPH. Urging/Requesting/Asking/Shaming if necessary are required on that end of it. Keep in mind however that we don't even have this option with bicyclists on 30A due to tire pressure issues, and I'm fine with the bicyclists too, and the LSVers. This is a resort area for larger parts of the year now, and the tourists and some locals like bicyling and LSVing.

yeah, I don't own an LSV, have never rented one on 30A. yes, years ago I do remember that people were claiming I had an ownership or some kind of vested financial interest in this monkey business. I haven't and don't. I just had a vision about how people would find these a fun way to get around, and I'd like to be able to have that option down here too, and would rather see traffic jams with these than the 90% large SUV's I see from tourists.

The only little strip I'd like to see lowered from 40 to 35MPH still, is the shrinking 40MPH strip between Watersound and Lakewood area of Seagrove. I think I could do without having to go 60MPH for that 1.2 Mile stretch, so that I may someday take my LSV from Seacrest to Seagrove, or Seaside to Watersound or Alys Beach etc.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I disagree with RD. The stretch near Deer Lake needs to go faster, not slower. It's safe to 50 MPH. Don't inconvenience everyone for the benefit of the relatively few vacationers who actually rent a golf cart and the even fewer vendors who rent them.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Watercolor will allow LSV's with enforced restrictions.
Homeowners very unhappy . JOE heavily involved with decision.
Rosemary to ban LSV's starting March 1.
Homeowners very happy.
Seaside undecided?
Lets be prepared for Spring Break!!!!

Couple of months ago, a couple of underaged girls careening the wrong way through Barrett Circle nearly slammed into the side of my car. Can just about promise you their parents woulda had me in court painting me the villain if they'd been hurt. Good to hear that Rosemary will be preserving the pleasant and safe experience of walking to the beach.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
ok. enjoy that 1.3 mile stretch, that'll make a difference. There are no such inconveniences in Freeport on the other hand.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Couple of months ago, a couple of underaged girls careening the wrong way through Barrett Circle nearly slammed into the side of my car. Can just about promise you their parents woulda had me in court painting me the villain if they'd been hurt. Good to hear that Rosemary will be preserving the pleasant and safe experience of walking to the beach.

a couple of months ago, when i was at band camp in Seaside, I saw a lady in her 40's pile into a Nissan Armada with her friends, after having shots and martinis at bud and alleys. A Nissan Armada weighs about 410,00 lbs, give or take a few pounds, and depending on suspension and fuel load. There may not be anyone around for finger pointing if that goes off the rails.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I have changed my stance on the golf carts somewhat. Let me be clear-I hate to see tourists, especially little kids looking to become the much anticipated first fatality of golf cart versus motor vehicle incident, putt-putting around where they shouldn't be. With that said, the cow is out of the barn so to speak, the little annoying buggies are here to stay. And for some reason, the tourists love to rent the damn things.

The real battle we have left at this point is demanding some sort of regulation to prevent the proliferation of yet more Bubbas Rentin' Buggies to the point that the only real distinction between the companies is price point. I have to suspect there are golf carts that are street legal as well as cheap piece of crap extra slow and dangerous golf carts that are street legal. If we are to tolerate golf carts on our highways, (yes, highways built for cars not toys) then we should at least have an expectation that the fleet is of a higher quality, for our own sanity and our visitor's safety.

So how do we accomplish this? I would propose that our BCC and TDC work together to devise a program where there be a limited number of vendors renting these things. Perhaps Watercolor is blazing the path here by mandating a sole vendor for rental golf carts in their community. By limiting the number of groups renting these things out, I think it would be easier to ensure some accountability from the vendors as far as terminating rentals early from renters who are noted to be operating the carts recklessly or illegally. We should demand zero tolerance of that behavior (and the police seem generally uninterested in enforcing existing no-nos). Conversely I feel like this would benefit the visitor as she most likely would be renting a higher quality cart from a vendor that isn't worried about being undercut by others offering up the cheapest carts on the market. Perhaps the BCC could have a lottery for vendors who want to rent the things, and only outfits that have a fleet of minimum quality carts could apply. A vendor who obtained a county permit to rent them would be held to very specific high standards, and if unable to do so, their renting operation terminated.

As far as locals who choose to buy and operate carts here, I don't think any special provisions need be made. That should sit well with those selling the carts locally (and I believe Robertsondavies was found to have such an interest some years ago on another golf cart outrage thread). I will freely admit, the golf carts are fun to drive. I wouldn't mind having one to take to the beach where I live in Seagrove, but would never dream of doing anything other than crossing 30-A on the thing, not going east or west. Robertsondavies rightly points out there are plenty of suburban moms crazed on pink wine operating humongous SUVs that will kill anyone in a golf cart, local or otherwise.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm not sure how we would move forward with this, but we should. Bellyaching about the things for the last three years has resulted in nothing more than a proliferation of crappy carts being rented by crappy carpetbagging absentee vendors. We all deserve better than that!

Turncoat. :D

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
For anyone who thinks LSVs and golf carts are perfectly safe and harmless on 30a, I encourage them to take off their seatbelts and drive one of these vehicles into a concrete wall or large tree at 20 mph.

Running into anything at 15-20 mph without a seatbelt (even in a vehicle with crash prevention technology like airbags and anti-lock brakes) is not a pleasant experience. Far worse would be a side or rear collision with one of the heavy vehicles that regularly travels 30a. Do you want to see what a golf cart versus dump truck collision looks like? I certainly don't.

These stupid carts are not safe and I don't want the maiming or death of someone's loved one to be what finally convinces lawmakers.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
One thing you could do is build elevated or underground freeways along 30A and ultimately as odd as it sounds that's probably the only way to solve for the congestion problem and LSV annoyance in what has become (for the most part) a cohesive resort area.
You have lost me now.

Skunkape, why can't our community encourage walking and bicycles? Golf carts are just Lazy Boys on wheels.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Dangit Kurt, now you just made them more attractive to some people by calling them Lazy Boys on Wheels!

I'm going to carry a super soaker in my car and blast the ones I see on the bike path. That is the biggest irritation of all.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
a couple of months ago, when i was at band camp in Seaside, I saw a lady in her 40's pile into a Nissan Armada with her friends, after having shots and martinis at bud and alleys. A Nissan Armada weighs about 410,00 lbs, give or take a few pounds, and depending on suspension and fuel load. There may not be anyone around for finger pointing if that goes off the rails.

"Golf Carts: Safer Drunk Driving Than SUVs"