• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
WCSB Approves ESE Contract, Talks Teachers

The ESP’s Contract has been approved and the Charter Schools are getting funds, but the teachers choose to return to the negotiation table. At last night’s Walton School Board meeting, Superintendent Carlene Anderson recommended approval of the Educational Support Personnel contract. The union members ratified their agreement with the district. The teachers did not.

The ESP’s overwhelmingly approved the contract agreed upon at the recent meeting between the unions and district negotiation team. The cost is $309,000. Board member Mark Davis asked if they can pay out of any type of available funds. Superintendent Anderson said it comes from the general fund. Roberts also said they have not received any funds from the governor's initiative. She said these will not come until they approve the teacher’s pay and the state approves the agreement. The money for the ESP contract will not drop the fund balance below the required $3 million, but will bring it close.

Board member Sharon Roberts gave a copy of a letter showing they have the money. Anderson said this was a misunderstanding and they do not have the dollars. She said there is a statement that shows the amount received from the Department of Education is $1.3 million. Anderson said the wording means that is the amount of the allocation. She told Roberts they budget for what is being allocated, but the money is not sitting in the bank account. Roberts said the statement says, “Amount Received, not Amount Allocated” and it is in writing. Anderson again explained this is the amount allocated.

After a comment by the audience, Anderson said the money from the Governor's initiative will stay with the state if they do not reach an agreement. The governor’s money for teachers includes the charter schools and they turn in plans to the state. Anderson and Finance Director Hobbs said the district has begun giving the charter schools their money from the general fund and the general fund will be reimbursed by the state. The district is holding the charter school’s plans per a state request.

The Charter Schools and the ESP’s will get the state’s money. Board member Mark Davis explained that if they do not settle with the teachers, they will go to impasse. He also said the delay in not going to the negotiation table earlier is his fault after he suggested they wait until the third calculation of FTE’s. Additionally a meeting was delayed for the Winter Storm Leon. He acknowledged the other districts have settled. Davis said the teachers will got something. He said he does not know what the terms will be, but they will have something by June.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Although the issues are far from a laughing matter, I couldn't help but chuckle at the contentious exchange between the queen and Sharon Roberts.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Any way you look at the teachers of the Walton County public school system have been screwed again. Shame on this the State Republican Legislature for allowing our Banana Republic County School District to handle funds how they saw fit. Every dime should have gone to the teachers. The non instructional staff jobs don't depend on test scores for their employment renewal. They don't put in the kind of hours a teacher does. They don't have to spend money out of their own pockets to purchase needed supplies for the class room. The administrators should never receive a raise or any bonus unless teachers are receiving the same percentage of individual raises. No one can honestly say they support the county's public school teachers if they support the current Superintendent and the current School Board members. Before reaching an agreement with the public school teachers, they commit to an agreement with Charter School personnel, non instructional personnel, and essentially leaving the left overs for public school teachers. The current Administration, and School Board members are saying to our teachers, here are the scraps on the plate, take it or leave it. It shows a total lack of respect or appreciation. It's shameful.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Anyone know how the negotiations went today?

Just saw this on the news, and was happy to see that the teachers had a counter proposal and stuck by it. The teachers and district are only $100,000 apart. I can't believe that they can't do some hard digging and find a way to amend the budget. In the meantime, maybe somebody knows how we can get corporate donations to fund the difference. (I am not kidding!)

http://www.wmbb.com/story/25073864/walton-county-teachers-union

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
jdarg, corporate sponsors I don't think want to fund their own employees in many cases, plus the money they are asking for are recurring expenses, pay raises, or at least I hope they are. In the last district proposal they were only willing to give them a pay raise that they might take away if the legislators don't fund it again. Really wasn't a pay raise it was a bonus.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
jdarg, corporate sponsors I don't think want to fund their own employees in many cases, plus the money they are asking for are recurring expenses, pay raises, or at least I hope they are. In the last district proposal they were only willing to give them a pay raise that they might take away if the legislators don't fund it again. Really wasn't a pay raise it was a bonus.

Hi Bob, just trying to get creative. Bake sale? Car wash? It would be national news if the community found the money to make up the difference when the district could not. ;-):wave:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm curious, if the county rejects the proposal what exactly can the teacher's union do? My understanding is that they are not permitted to actually strike.

As for corporate sponsorship I'm sure the tobacco companies would be interested. Just imagine eating in the Marlboro Cafeteria or the Camel Joe Auditorium?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hi Bob, just trying to get creative. Bake sale? Car wash? It would be national news if the community found the money to make up the difference when the district could not. ;-):wave:

Do you really want national scrutiny of our school system?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I'm curious, if the county rejects the proposal what exactly can the teacher's union do? My understanding is that they are not permitted to actually strike.

As for corporate sponsorship I'm sure the tobacco companies would be interested. Just imagine eating in the Marlboro Cafeteria or the Camel Joe Auditorium?

It ends up at an impasse and it goes before the elected officials at which time they can impose a contract. The teachers have the opportunity to bring their side to the board as does management and the board is suppose to be the impartial arbitrators of the issue. Based on what I saw at the last meeting I attended I am not sure how the votes would go. I would love to see it so I can know who I won't be voting for.