• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
My family is telling me that they saw the signs at the shore before the water today near the Dune Allen access. Does anyone know why they would've been there? Wondering if it was unsafe because of riptide or potentially bad water quality? From reading SoWal I know that there are typically bad water quality results after a lot of rain. I did not expect those results to happen quickly nor have I seen them. Does anyone have any input?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It was red and purple flags today. Very high surf - nice sets if you have a board and a wetsuit. Even if it calms, probably a high possibility of rip currents for at least the next few days.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
rip currents!

From SWFD fb today:

The beach flags for South Walton's beaches will be RED and purple at this time. There are a number of strong rip currents present, especially in the vicinity of the dune lake washouts. Jellyfish have also been reported across the beaches of South Walton.

Wave heights: Around 2 feet with light offshore winds early switching to onshore this afternoon @ 5-10 knots.

Rip current risk: High a high risk of rip currents means that wind, wave and tidal conditions all support the development of strong and dangerous rip currents. Lake washouts and soft edges of sand bars can also add to rip current development. Rip currents have the potential to form very quickly at any location across the beaches of South Walton. Deep channels between the sand bars are where the water brought in from the wave action funnels back out. Strong rip currents can take even the strongest swimmers away from shore. Please pay attention to the beach flags, if you are unsure whether rip currents are present check with a lifeguard, or stay on the shore.

Beach Flags are important for you to know!

beach-safety.png

Read SoWal.com story on Beach Safety.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Sorry guys I was not clear. I'm aware of the beach flag system and know that it was a red flag today. I have just never seen flags in the sand in front of the water. I wondered if that was for something different. It said no swimming on the flag and I thought a double red meant no swimming. And yes we have seen plenty of rip currents while here, sadly. One example.

Attachments

• image-3789783589.jpg
    image-3789783589.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

kdp4th

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2006
Duluth
I have seen flags like this at Seagrove beach where the life guard has determined the current is too strong for swimming. There are usually two flags and the life guard will not allow swimming between the two flags.