• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
What's the deal with this form I got in the mail? What happens if you ignore it (my furnishings aren't worth squatt). Do I really need to fill this out and tell them my stuff isn't worth diddly?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I sincerely have an issue with letting it go though. If I owe something for the essential services, teachers, fire, police, tdc, I want to pay. I think the taxes in the area are quite reasonable, but I never knew about owing an ad valorem on my pullout sofa etc. until yesterday. Is this new? Is this really common practice to ignore this? I appreciate the advice Local if that's true, but I'm just wondering if this is a new thing, and what the history is on this new ad val tax etc. what pot does this tax go into?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
yes, it's basically saying list the value of your furnishings/tangible personal property. never seen it before. its from the tax assessor.

We've received those notices for years. Here are the rules from
http://www.waltontaxcollector.com/images/Delinquent Tax Brochure(1).pdf
Tangible Personal Property taxes are taxes based on the value of property, which is broken into three categories:

1. Business—Furnishings, fixtures, and any equipment used in the operation of a business.

2. Household Goods of a Rental: Any furnishings and/or appliances provided in a rental property.

3. Mobile Homes: (Only when the land on which the home sits is not owned by the occupant.) All attachments and/or additions, such as, carports, sheds, Florida room, screened porch, or air conditioner unit.

With the exception of mobile home attachments, tangible personal property is normally assessed on the basis of information supplied on the tax return filed by the owner with the Property Appraiser’s Office. Failure to file or late filing can result in a penalty being assessed by the Property Appraiser’s Office.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Basically you can say that it's all worthless crap. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for under reporting or not reporting at all. I wouldn't follow it up with a garage sale though.