• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

HD Lady

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach
Pink elephant on S 7th St since early Dec. Red tagged. Parked on side of road. Had 2 b moved cause it impeded entrance to parking and safety issues. Stop development was issued (wetlands). Pink elephant still sitting here. Developer says code enforcement is allowing him to leave the pink elephant on street indefinitely!! You think so??

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Pink elephant is a term used to describe something that is undesirable. How many of you have actually seen a pink elephant? I have seen a herd of them. While flying a surveillance mission in Laos one afternoon, I spotted a herd of elephants that were actually pink in color. They had been rolling in a muddy area and were pink! Even war has its lighter moments.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
7th street is east of 393 north of 98 and is split. Hence the north/south designation. Still not sure what the pink elephant is.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
This pink elephant is a Katrina looking modular home. S. 7th Street is east of 393 off of Chat Holly.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
:D
Thanks Andy - I meant this one in particular.

Sorry, Kurt. My bad. I should have realized you knew what a Pink Elephant was. Anyway, it gave me a chance to tell my Pink Elephant story.:D

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Katrina cottages periodically show up, sit for a while, and then disappear.

There's one in the middle of nowhere on Pt. Washington Rd right now, about a mile from any available utilities. I guess it's supposed to give the impression of a home on the lot.

Castilian Rose

Beach Crab
May 1, 2014
The "pink elephant" is indeed a large family size modular home (aka-Katrina Cottage), parked on South 7th early December without a building permit. Sheriff's Office ordered removal off the road April 22. Instead of moving it out of the neighborhood, it is now being STORED on the owner's wetland property with NO DEADLINE FOR ITS REMOVAL. It is parked within several feet of another homeowner's property and only 5 feet from the front of the owner's property line (setback should be 20 feet on frontage and 25 feet from wetlands). The trailer hitch is only supported by a small wood block which will eventually rot or sink into the mire. The wheels are sitting on 5/8 inch water soaked plywood, which will give way in time. Since the recent rain and flooding, the dwelling has sunk and leaning over. This monstrosity is not strapped down in any way. With hurricane season approaching, it poses potential danger for homeowners. Communication with the property owner, Code Enforcement, Planning, County Administrator and the District Commissioner have been ongoing but no resolution. Even if these current issues were resolved, this dwelling should have never been stored in any neighborhood without proper permits. What can be done to remove it and to prevent this from happening again? In over 5 months, no one has come up with an answer.... In the meantime- there is still an elephant in the room...

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Set backs don't apply in the situation of storage. I'm not saying this isn't an eyesore or a liability, but simply applying codes to situations that don't apply start moving you into the crazy column. The county moves slow, and for good reason, keep at them though and it'll probably be taken care of.