• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Where does the "great divide" start...hmmm, let's see....maybe comments like "we are such a large tax base, and our schools have the most growth".

Maybe it will end when folks in the South end of the county stop thinking everything is an "entitlement" because they have the most toys.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
There are plenty of working people in South Walton struggling to get by. Comments assuming everybody who lives south of the bridge is living the good life is just insulting and untrue.

Regarding "entitled or entitlements". Every child in this county is entitled to the best education possible, regardless of their parents' zip code. If people say I have a sense of entitlement because I want the best education possible for my child, and will strongly advocate for it, them call me entitled and I will wear it as a badge of honor.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
And I never got my question answered about the merits of the superintendent discussion-- only class warfare-- the worst form of politics and demagoguery.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I did answer your questions...you just didn't like the answers.

Have a great day.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
As someone who lives south of the bay but teaches north of the bay, I assure you the teachers in both ends of this county want the same thing: to teach in a safe, positive environment without fear of retribution for asking for fair working conditions and decent compensation and to be treated with respect by our employer, The Walton County School District. The students are our main concern, and Every child deserves a well-rested teacher who can give it their all every day. I don't know why Misty said what she did about the "north end showing the south end" because every teacher I talk to wants the teachers in both ends of the countyto stick together to make sure good things happen in this district. It's mostly on this forum that I hear about the "great divide" and animosity.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Not one word has been said about not wanting what's best for the children of Walton County. What has been said was the opposition to hiring versus electing a superintendent is growing exponentially.

You have ex-elected school board members, teachers, churches, the media and even the former president of the WCTA, Bonnie McQuiston just saying no to this effort.

I said what I did because I live in the north end of the County and I'm simply not hearing all the great things that those involved in this effort are pushing.

Let me reiterate my position, I PERSONALLY am not opposed to the idea even though I don't believe it will save the taxpayers money. I think being able to hold the Superintendent accountable to the people is a wonderful opportunity for the kids in this county.

You do have the right to be respected by your employer sunny850 without fear of retribution but regardless of an elected versus hired Superintendent, you still have to answer to someone who is elected! All this effort does is give the power to an elected board.

Bottom line is you absolutely get what you vote for. If I recall Ms. Anderson had a lot of opposition the last time she ran. There were many many people who spoke out against her and she was still re-elected so, the respect you didn't get and the retribution you fear can be directly laid at the feet of those who voted for her.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Class warfare would mean I am opposed to hiring versus electing a Superintendent. I am not opposed to the idea at all.

It certainly isn't because I'm pi$$ poor or work for a living just like the rest of you or because I believe any of you have a better social or economic position.

I do however believe there have been some false proclamations made here about the savings to the taxpayers and there are those of you who are attempting to arouse the emotions of the taxpayers with the claim "it's for the children" that I don't believe are completely accurate and speaks volumes to "demagoguery".

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Bonnie McQuiston is nothing more than a tool of the good ol' boy network and she's one of the worst things to happen to South Walton. If she's against it then I'm for it.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Misty,

It is said there are none so blind who cannot see. The assertions of those who proclaim, as Ms. McQuiston and others have, that this will deprive them of their right to vote (for a superintendent) entirely miss the point. This is indeed about the children, though it would appear those aforesaid now-former children have been victimized by the educational system themselves. Our children certainly have been and are being victimized when greater than 60% of those going on to college require both remedial math and remedial English.

This IS about the children, like it or not. This is NOT about any adult’s prejudices about their right to continue the practices that have failed and that continue to fail our children, one of those being electing a superintendent. This is not about saving money. It is about improving our children’s chances to succeed in life by doing what we can to improve the system charged with providing them with an education and the mental tools to succeed in life for themselves and for their fellow man.

I’m 71 and have no child in school, here or elsewhere. That does not absolve me of the responsibility to try to make this a better place for my fellow man and more particularly for the children of today who cannot speak for or defend themselves, no matter the blindness or selfishness of the adults who are charged with providing for their welfare, that including their education.

To suggest that advocacy for a change in a failing system is demagoguery is itself at least strongly smacking of that very demagoguery. The people behind this movement are sincere. That quality does not make them right, but it likewise does not make them wrong. Would any care to argue that our schools are doing as well as they might in preparing our children? That they are approaching perfection in the administration of the huge sums of money in their charge?

That 99% of the school districts in this country appoint rather than elect superintendents does not make Walton wrong and nearly everyone else right, but any thinking person should at least pause to consider that maybe, just maybe, Walton might seriously re-examine its position.

Those whom Misty seems to revile as demagogues believe that there is a better way, the protestations of Ms. McQuiston and others to the contrary. Objective measures demonstrate that our schools aren’t getting it done. This is not to castigate the teachers or administration. Would that life were so simple. They are tasked with dealing with the sequelae of the decisions and the actions and inactions of parents and of our legal system and larger government. They have an impossible task as is, and this must change. Those of us trying to evoke discussion and introspection don’t presume to have all the answers, but we do know that serious questions need to be asked and thoughtfully answered. We’re not afraid to do so. Are you?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
lazin&drinkin, as is always the case with you, you are 99% on! Ms Mc Quiston may be prone to change her mind once she understands that one body governs and one administers. The one governing is the elected one...the school board.