• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SBlett

Beach Comber
Apr 21, 2013
It's infuriating. I was set up on a blanket with my 2 small children within the Seaside "boundaries" the weekend the signs/flags were set up. I was approached by a guy that asked if I was a Seaside resident or staying in Seaside. I said no, I live about a mile up the road and this is my local beach. He said that the beach area within the flags is for Seaside residents only. The city told him not to make anyone leave that is already set up but...to please observe the signs next time. I was livid. I called the Beach Authority at the Walton County police station and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT. THIS CAN NOT BE LEGALLY ENFORCED. Seaside has not done any of the requisite paperwork, surveys etc...and even if they had, "wet sand" is public. If I'm approached again I will be calling Seaside officials out on this harassment.

Last edited:
The Cloister had a bracelet system. We had to show it when we entered the gated area to the pool which then leads to the beach. It was also used to charge things to our account. We haven't been there in years once we discovered the 30A area with its beautiful sand and water. Although I do miss the breakfast buffets, the lunch buffet at the beach with unlimited boiled shrimp, and dressing in black tie attire for dinner (other more casual dining options are available). Oh, and I miss having our assigned table with the same waiter taking care of us and also the Nutty Buddy Man on barbecue night. And the Bingo ("Under the N, Herschel #35"), the family dance parties afterwards, etc. I think I've just talked myself into vacationing there again soon.

I dislike the sign show-down at so many places on the beach in South Walton, for example, the "Watersound owners and guests only" sign facing the "private property-no trespassing" sign from the neighborhood next door.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The sheer audacity and arrognance of many beach front owners in regard to use of the beach by the public is astounding. Yes, the deeds say private because some real estate individual decided so probably. But that doesn't negate the public's right to use what is America's, not some special group's. The Florida Supreme Court should declare all beaches public land just as California has done.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Last year I think was the first time we had the wristbands at Seaside. We did have to show them occassionally at the Tupelo pavillion - the street we stay on. That meant people couldn't use the pavillion space or use it for entering the beach. I guess it still didn't address other concerns that some residents must have so they're trying this. I can see both sides. It's similar to not allowing people to sit in empty seats in a better section at a concert or sporting event. The seats have been obviously vacant but is it fair for those who paid $100 per seat to have someone sit down next to them who paid $5 for the upper arena? I guess Seaside created a monster.
We have stayed near 30A, Grayton, Seagrove, and Seaside. We are now building a house here in Louisville (Norton Commons) designed by the same Miami firm that designed Seaside. In fact, Robert Davis just stopped in there recently for the first time. Anyway, since our new neighborhood will be so much like Seaside (and other 30A neighborhoods), we will probably start staying somewhere smaller and cheaper, and might even creep back over to Front Beach Road, east of Carillon. We have a UofL friend who owns a townhouse near the Winn-Dixie. Or even Navarre.
We drive all the way down 65 on Friday when we leave, then head south to Pensacola. Much shorter, easier drive from 65. Anyway, we head to the beach for a few moments, then take our time driving by the beach and stopping as much as possible. We have dinner at the Navarre bar at the Pier - love that place, then spend the night. In the morning we wake up in the Panhandle, not Louisville, and head to 30A. First we head to visitors' center (miss Larry) and pick up my reading material for the week, and stop somewhere to eat on the west side that we normally don't drive to during the week. (Lovely meal at the Vue the last time. Might be our new spot to celebrate our arrival. Dining outside:)
(Sorry, love our trips down there:)
Ellen

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Sanctuary at the Sea also think they own all of the beach between grayton and BMB( signs also)

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
If Seaside is upset about crowding on "their" beach why don't they just close the accesses, after all these are private? This is not a new suggestion I know but would seem to solve their problem. The recent survey conducted by TDC/BCC showed that parking was the #1 concern. People parking in Seaside only to use the beach, not staying to buy from the retailers, cause part of the parking problem while not contributing (see #11) and don't say this doesn't happen.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Why would anyone choose to go to the beach in Seaside when there is an abundance of better, less populated beaches all along South Walton?

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
It's similar to not allowing people to sit in empty seats in a better section at a concert or sporting event. The seats have been obviously vacant but is it fair for those who paid $100 per seat to have someone sit down next to them who paid $5 for the upper arena? I guess Seaside created a monster.
We have stayed near 30A, Grayton, Seagrove, and Seaside. We are now building a house here in Louisville (Norton Commons) designed by the same Miami firm that designed Seaside. In fact, Robert Davis just stopped in there recently for the first time. Anyway, since our new neighborhood will be so much like Seaside (and other 30A neighborhoods), we will probably start staying somewhere smaller and cheaper, and might even creep back over to Front Beach Road, east of Carillon. We have a UofL friend who owns a townhouse near the Winn-Dixie. Or even Navarre.
We drive all the way down 65 on Friday when we leave, then head south to Pensacola. Much shorter, easier drive from 65. Anyway, we head to the beach for a few moments, then take our time driving by the beach and stopping as much as possible. We have dinner at the Navarre bar at the Pier - love that place, then spend the night. In the morning we wake up in the Panhandle, not Louisville, and head to 30A. First we head to visitors' center (miss Larry) and pick up my reading material for the week, and stop somewhere to eat on the west side that we normally don't drive to during the week. (Lovely meal at the Vue the last time. Might be our new spot to celebrate our arrival. Dining outside:)
(Sorry, love our trips down there:)
Ellen

With all due respect...
It's not the same as your sporting event analogy simply because the "wet sand" i.e. high tide average water line is public beach not private and it cannot be defined with a current survey.

Thus, like most states, Florida recognizes the mean high water line as the boundary between public trust land and private property.[12] Florida law also provides that a policy of the State Comprehensive Plan shall be to "[e]nsure the public's right to reasonable access to beaches."[13] While this provision does not mandate public easements in the dry sand areas of beaches, it does represent legislative acknowledgement of the significance of public beach access in Florida.

Not sure what your vacation plans have to do with the thread.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Our neighbor, a full time resident, rode his bike from Watersound Beach last weekend and stopped at a Seaside along the way. He and his girl friend were chatting on one of ten dune cross overs in Seaside and were told by security that they had to leave since they were not staying in Seaside. Nice way to chase customers away from the local merchants.