• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Ilove Walton COunty and I think the north is nice and pretty and a good place to farm. I just don't think many tourists are going to visit unless a water park is built near I-10. Sorry I meant NO tourists. And NO dollars should go to it. Waste of time?

Walton Forms TDC Committee For North Walton

At the last Walton BCc meeting, the formation of a committee to help with promoting the north part of Walton County was discussed. The North Walton County Events Advisory Committee will assist the Walton County Tourist Development Council in the selection of countywide tourism events for marketing to areas outside the three county area.

In a statement from the county, the formation of the North Walton County Tourism Events Advisory Committee will demonstrate the value and need of a united community that together focuses on being the leading tourism brand in the region. The county wide events/activities will facilitate in the development of additional cultural and environmental programs/offerings along with expansion of existing programs/offerings. The committee will ensure all are of the highest quality, benefit tourism, and uphold the brand.

COMMITTEE COMPOSITION AND MEMBERSHIP TERMS:
The North Walton County Tourism Events Advisory Committee shall include seven (7) members at
any given time. Makeup of the committee and terms are as follows:
A. One (1) appointed by each of the five (5) County Commissioners.
B. One (1) appointed by the City of DeFuniak Springs.
C. One (1) appointed by the City of Freeport.
Committee membership shall automatically run for a two-year term.
It is recommended that all committee members either reside or work in Walton County and have
familiarity with the events and activities routinely occurring north of the Choctawhatchee Bay.

MEETINGS:
Meetings will be held on an as needed basis at the Walton County Administration building, and
shall be publicly noticed, recorded and minutes taken. All members will be subject to the Sunshine and Public Records Laws for any issues that might come before the committee. A quorum of four (4) members must be present at properly scheduled meetings for official action (a vote) to be taken. Lack of a quorum will result in no action being taken.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
A water park just off I-10 with the beaches just 15 minutes from there, not including Big Kahunas and all the other amusements to throw money at and you think we need a water park?

Mmmm k.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I thin it's OK to say no sometimes. Not everyone needs to be heard or deserves a share. If 100% of the money from bed tax is from SoWal then 100% of money for attracting tourists should be spent there. However I have no problem with private entities attracting tourists to NoWal - once bed tax money is collected then have at it.

fishwalton

Beach Comber
May 30, 2013
DeFuniak Springs,FL
A couple of comments/questions:

Are you aware the TDC has promoted events/organizations north of the bay as far back as 12 to 14 years ago, I. e. $15,000 for at least two years - Christmas Reflections in DeFuniak, baseball tournament in Freeport, Biophelia Center - hundreds of $1,000. The new deal is not new, it just formalizes support for qualified events and in a formal organized process that includes a token annual allocation.

The alternative is a referendum to include all of Walton County in the "Walton County Tourist Development Council" where only those living north of the bay would vote. Folks south of the bay would have no vote.

So, which process would you prefer?

Events that should qualify for promotional support are: 1. Marvel of Flight (which is happening today at the airport) 2. Christmas Reflections 3: Chautauqua Assembly. All of these bring thousands of visiting tourist to Walton County.

J. B. Hillard
DeFuniak Springs, FL

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
A couple of comments/questions:

How do you folks feel about the Walton TDC spending $50,000 to promote the Wine Festival in Destin, Okaloosa County?

Are you aware the TDC has promoted events/organizations north of the bay as far back as 12 to 14 years ago, I. e. $15,000 for at least two years - Christmas Reflections in DeFuniak, baseball tournament in Freeport, Biophelia Center - hundreds of $1,000. The new deal is not new, it just formalizes support for qualified events and in a formal organized process that includes a token annual allocation.

The alternative is a referendum to include all of Walton County in the "Walton County Tourist Development Council" where only those living north of the bay would vote. Folks south of the bay would have no vote.

So, which process would you prefer?

Events that should qualify for promotional support are: 1. Marvel of Flight (which is happening today at the airport) 2. Christmas Reflections 3: Chautauqua Assembly. All of these bring thousands of visiting tourist to Walton County.

J. B. Hillard
DeFuniak Springs, FL

I have issues with the TDC supporting any activity outside of Walton County. I have a question for you, does hotel/ motel and other sources of bed tax collectors collect bed taxes north of the bay? If they don't, then I am not sure I can support the idea of paying for promotions of those events listed. As for the premise of your alternative about voting, I guess I don't understand your point. I would support creating a TDC for north of the bay and allow bed tax collections to pay for the promotional support for events and activities occurring here.

Last edited:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I was told it was going to be a small amount ($15-30,000 a year) for promotional purposes only, for events that South Walton visitors would enjoy (visitors who would be paying for food and lodging in South Walton), and that it was just being a good neighbor to do this.

Hard to argue with that. $30K is a pittance in the $18 million TDC budget. The previous director spent that much on crappy plastic wine glasses.

fishwalton

Beach Comber
May 30, 2013
DeFuniak Springs,FL
The amount is correct and for promotion only. The Marvel of Flight is one event that should qualify and make the cut. It was this weekend in DeFuniak. Last year attendance was estimated at 5,000 to 6,000. This year they have a free ticket system that will help provide a more accurate count. There were thousands at the airport today. The goal is to include an show in the future. There were planes from all over the place. National Rental Car had display so must have sponsored rental cars. My bet is a good number are staying down at the beach.

A few random photos

http://tinyurl.com/jwknukz

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Which Wine Festival are you referring to? If you mean the one that is happening this weekend then your geography needs work as Grand Boulevard is located in Walton county.

In agreement though, I don't think the TDC should continue providing monies to events/festivals that have other cities/counties in the name. Even when they take place in Walton county.