• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

swedishKj

Beach Comber
Apr 29, 2014
It's infuriating. I was set up on a blanket with my 2 small children within the Seaside "boundaries" the weekend the signs/flags were set up. I was approached by a guy that asked if I was a Seaside resident or staying in Seaside. I said no, I live about a mile up the road and this is my local beach. He said that the beach area within the flags is for Seaside residents only. The city told him not to make anyone leave that is already set up but...to please observe the signs next time. I was livid. I called the Beach Authority at the Walton County police station and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT. THIS CAN NOT BE LEGALLY ENFORCED. Seaside has not done any of the requisite paperwork, surveys etc...and even if they had, "wet sand" is public. If I'm approached again I will be calling Seaside officials out on this harassment.
Why are you so determined to break their rules? wow, How about using your energy on positive things. It would make our communities a better place instead of fighting.

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Why are you so determined to break their rules? wow, How about using your energy on positive things. It would make our communities a better place instead of fighting.
Doesn't sound like she is Breaking any rules to me!!!! If police can't enforce it then who can? Seasides Andy Taylor and Barney?

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Because you can't make "rules" that violate state law, which is what they are trying to do.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
These types of signs are definitely proliferating, and one set of signs seems to encourage another. I propose that posting of such signs is undesireable. I suggest that the next time someone does it, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, should go sit in the area bounded by these signs until such time as the signs are removed. Eventually the posters will realize that postings produce undesireable results, and they will stop. Behavior modification.

Either that, or swat them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Last weekend walked west along the gorgeous water from seagrove. Saw the line of flags marking seaside boundary. So weird; must be to keep them in? So many people packed up in there! ;)

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I think I read lawyers are telling beachfront owners to post signs to establish a history of use to claim rights in the future. Sounds underhanded to me. Something akin to squatters rights.

dmarie

Beach Lover
Aug 22, 2007
Eden
The Seaside Administration does not endorse nor condone these signs. The sign pictured was put up by the president of the Tupelo Street neighborhood association; the same person who started the bracelet concept to use the beach; the same person who on this site awhile ago was accused of verbally chasing off a family with a young child and scaring said child. This same person was the one who wanted to gate the entrance to Seaside from Seagrove at Forest St. and Grove Ave. She continues to give Seaside a black eye.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
The Seaside Administration does not endorse nor condone these signs. The sign pictured was put up by the president of the Tupelo Street neighborhood association; the same person who started the bracelet concept to use the beach; the same person who on this site awhile ago was accused of verbally chasing off a family with a young child and scaring said child. This same person was the one who wanted to gate the entrance to Seaside from Seagrove at Forest St. and Grove Ave. She continues to give Seaside a black eye.

wow - thanks for keeping it real dmarie!

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Yes, thank you dmarie. Seeing those flags run out like a used car lot reminded me of a beach grouch who, back in the 50s or 60s somewhere along Gulf Shores or South Walton, erected a chain link fence that ran all the way INTO the water. It was short-lived but can you imagine? My wish is that all those who use the beach respect each other, the beach and keep it clean.