• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hopefully before Memorial Day. The county has threatened to look into the penalty clause in the contract.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Lol. If the penalty clause has not already been breached, we need to be asking who was representing the taxpayer when the contract was awarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'd like to see the county actually enforce the penalty clause. It might wake up some contractors that making it a back burner priority isn't an option.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm not sure even an enforced penalty clause will help this situation. Something is just not right. I suspect the company that is suppose to be doing this project has simply got financial problems beyond the scope of this one job. It would be nice to get some kind of explanation from our county government.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Seems I read an article about this recently and that the company is be penalized for every day they are late. I thought I read it in the Sun or the Beach Breeze but sometimes I have dreams also. On this one I am pretty sure I read it.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
My point is, they are probably in so deep that any penalty is pointless. Can anybody give an eyes on the ground assessment of any activity on the jobsite?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Seems I read an article about this recently and that the company is be penalized for every day they are late. I thought I read it in the Sun or the Beach Breeze but sometimes I have dreams also. On this one I am pretty sure I read it.

You weren't dreaming, found the article, was in the Northwest Florida Daily News:

Company ordered to pay county for each day local bridge uncompleted

By TOM McLAUGHLIN / Daily News
Published: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 17:30 PM.
Dalton Brothers Construction has been ordered to pay Walton County $720 for each day since Tuesday the County Road 30A Bridge over Oyster Lake remains uncompleted.
Under its contract, Dalton Brothers was given until April 8 to substantially complete the bridge project.
“It is the County’s intent to exercise its rights under the contract and withhold the $720 per day until substantial completion is certified,” County Attorney Mark Davis said in an email.
County spokesman Louis Svehla estimated Monday the bridge is still three weeks from being opened.
The “liquefied damages” will come off the top of the $600,455 Dalton Brothers is being paid to construct the bridge, which will open the outfall between the rare coastal dune lake and the Gulf of Mexico.
Mike Dalton, the construction manager, had no comment Wednesday.
Cliff Knauer, an engineer with Preble-Rish that designed the bridge, said the project should move rapidly once a bridge deck that’s been “sitting in Pensacola” is brought on site.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/c...or-each-day-local-bridge-uncompleted-1.303176

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Miznotebook comes thru again! (That's over $20,000 penalty, by my arithmetic. You would think they would a hitch in their giddyup for that amount of loss.)

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
My point is, they are probably in so deep that any penalty is pointless. Can anybody give an eyes on the ground assessment of any activity on the jobsite?

Someone was working in the area after all the rains we had.... those are with my own eyes and I can see around corners.:drool: