• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Hell no! This only ads to the false validity that they own the beach. Most of them quitclaim deeded the beach to themselves illegally.

I agree completely! If we can't keep signs off the beach, at least keep them at the toe of the dune or as far landward as possible. According to our deed, we own to the water. Where did that right come from? I think it is as fallacious as it is possible to be. The meeting last night on beach renourishment was full of people "protecting" their "private beach" rights. A right that has to be proven in the first place as being legal even though their deed says it is so. What can you do with a beach? Can you plant a crop? Can you build a structure? No, you can utilize it for pleasure and relaxation. Why should you deny citizens the right to do that if they do it responsibly? The beach is a part of this great nation and, as National Parks and other wonderful areas of that nation, should be available for the use of all when used responsibly. If not used so, the law has the right to remove them.

MarvinGardens

Beach Comber
Jan 19, 2010
Blue Mnt. Beach
I think it would be great if there were an ordinance banning all of these private property signs on the beach but, barring that, the next best thing would be to have some rules like the ones I've suggested. Otherwise, you have what you've got now which only the beachfront owners (and not all of them) are happy about.

I'm certainly not an expert but I thought you had to have permission from the state DEP to place signs anywhere on the beach. I've been told that that is one of the angles the Sheriff Dept. uses when choosing not to arrest alleged "trespassers". To enforce so called private property you have to mark your boundaries but to mark the boundaries you need permission from the DEP to place your signs. That's pretty hard to get with the sea turtles out there.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'm certainly not an expert but I thought you had to have permission from the state DEP to place signs anywhere on the beach. I've been told that that is one of the angles the Sheriff Dept. uses when choosing not to arrest alleged "trespassers". To enforce so called private property you have to mark your boundaries but to mark the boundaries you need permission from the DEP to place your signs. That's pretty hard to get with the sea turtles out there.

You also need to establish where the boundaries are. It isn't the water, it's the Mean High Water Line, which requires a survey to establish because it has a legal definition in the Florida Statutes.
Don't look for any help from the DEP as long as Rick Scott is in office. They are hunkered down for the duration.

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Further Response from TDC director........

“Owners are allowed to put a mono-pole sign on the beach marking their property. They are not allowed to string rope or chains between multiple posts.”

“The signs cannot be on the third of the beach closest to the water.”

“All our public beach accesses have public beach at the end of them. It may only be 10’ of width of public beach but it is still public.”

Picture at Seaside is typical of the many signs being placed at “private” beaches. FDEP rule we are using as guidelines is – monopole sign, 1/3 of beach from toe of dune.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
And this makes the signs necessary, useful and attractive? Go figure. To me, it shows the lack of consideration for American citizens and the pure greed of some beach front owners. BTW, my deed says we own to the water, but there are no signs on our beach nor will there be.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think signs on the beach are stupid and ugly and completely out of character for this area. Plenty of places people who feel the need to "own the beach" can go. (Besides hell.)

SBlett

Beach Comber
Apr 21, 2013
I just moved here last fall and being my first time to enjoy these beaches, thought they were simply amazing...until this spring when vacant beach set ups and these signs started ruining it all. Such a shame. I have guests coming this week and I am actually embarrassed that I will need to explain all of this signage and empty chairs to them after hyping up these beautiful beaches to them all winter. They will definitely want to spend most of their time on the beach, I just hope we can find a spot to sit between all of the empty chairs and umbrellas and confusing, obstructive signs. I've travelled the world and never seen anything like this. It's ridiculous that this is allowed in such a beautiful place.

Last edited:

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Yesterday I walked west from Gulf Place around 8:30am. The first chair vendor had 55 chair sets along the water line and only 26 had names attached as reserved.
Write your county commissioner if you want your voice heard.

Cindy Meadows

meacindy@co.walton.fl.us