• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Sweet Victory ( no pic sorry ) daughter says no unrented beach umbrellas on BMB ( see Friday pic) email to Cindy county commissioner and phone calls to county code enforcement guy
Worked. Now they are ONLY putting up umbrellas that are rented. System worked :America :

Wekick

Beach Comber
Jan 1, 2005
The last couple years, umbrellas were set up across the entire beach frontage of the building we were in that were never rented. If we got down there before 6;30, they set up their chairs almost on top of us. It was very aggressive chair positioning! I think some people did remove some of them that were not occupied.

jeanne17

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2012
I've been fighting the chair/umbrella war just east of 30-A in bay county for years. I once had one of the beach services actually MOVE my stuff (not in a nice way - read: they TORE MY STUFF up). I had gone down at 6 am to set up (have to in order to beat the service folks) and then back up to change, get coffee/kids, etc. In my 40+ years on earth I've never had the police called on me, but that is exactly what happened. Funny thing is, the police agreed with ME when they got there. Beach service folks had to give me cash to pay for my stuff they tore up. But who wants to FIGHT? That just ruins everyone's day. (This was in PCB proper about 7 years ago).

In 2012, when we bought our condo, one of the reasons we bought at Pinnacle Port/Carillon was for the very fact that there was so much open beach area and we wouldn't have to fight rental services for beach (although during peak season it's still a rush to see who gets the most "convenient" spaces - i.e., by the walkways, lol). I've since made friends with the service folks and we have a pretty nice agreement about allowing space for people with their own stuff. Just talk to them - they can be reasonable. In our case, we agreed that leaving space between chairs for "first come first serve" was appropriate, with the exception of extremely heavy holidays (Memorial Day, the 4th, etc) in which I agreed that we DIYers leave the umbrella service folks a bit more prime real estate since they tend to really be full those weeks.(Since I am always down at 6, I seem to be the one that "sets" the tone for the DIYers on where to set up - inevitably, I get my stuff up first, the service folks set theirs to the right of mine and that seems to be the dividing line for the day). Seems to be working for us. Again, just talk to the service folks. They can be reasonable.

jeanne17

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2012
The last couple years, umbrellas were set up across the entire beach frontage of the building we were in that were never rented. If we got down there before 6;30, they set up their chairs almost on top of us. It was very aggressive chair positioning! I think some people did remove some of them that were not occupied.

I've had that happen to me before (not with our current service folks but yes I know exactly what you are talking about). What we did to cure that was take extra chairs with us when we set up - so two extra on either side of our own which created an extra "boundary". Then, half way through the morning, when a young family came walking up anxiously looking for a place to land among a sea of people, we'd say "hey, you can sit in front of these chairs no one is really using them". The looks on their faces would be like they had won the lottery, lol. (I realize this may seem crappy since we were in essence taking up a bit of room but it really wasn't much - just a couple of feet to keep a green umbrella from literally being on my elbow).