• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BB

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
I arrived at Grayton Beach before 11:00 a.m. On a non holiday weekend and I noticed that we were unable to pull up to a direct beach parking because a long line of unoccupied rental beach chairs.

As a resident I pay for beach access every year and have been doing so for over 11 yeas. I am very upset by this behavior by the Beach chair vendors. I do not begrudge their entrepreneurial spirit, however, when they infringe on my rights as a tax payer, then we have a problem.

If these vendors were to set up chairs as customers arrived, then it is fair game. However, they set up on the full fringe of the beach, very,very early, and hog the entire beach. These chairs are empty for most of the day ... I counted 16 empty chairs at 1:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

I plan to contact the County Commission about this nonsense. The same thing happened at the Jazz Fest in April. People were so upset that there were arguments and people almost
came to blows. They started moving the chairs....very scary situation. We do not want this on our beautiful beach.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
These beach chair vendors are ruining our beaches! We've been vacationing in Grayton for over 15 yrs. and 2 yrs. ago we encountered the beach chair vendors. My husband decided to beat them to their game and arrived to set us up beachfront before 7 a.m. When the vendors arrived they asked us to move. Of course, we looked at them like they had 5 heads!!!!!!! If the chairs aren't rented, they should not be set-up! This is one of the reasons that we stopped vacationing at Sandestin.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I arrived at Grayton Beach before 11:00 a.m. On a non holiday weekend and I noticed that we were unable to pull up to a direct beach parking because a long line of unoccupied rental beach chairs. As a resident I pay for beach access every year and have been doing so for over 11 yeas. I am very upset by this behavior by the Beach chair vendors. I do not begrudge their entrepreneurial spirit, however, when they infringe on my rights as a tax payer, then we have a problem. If these vendors were to set up chairs as customers arrived, then it is fair game. However, they set up on the full fringe of the beach, very,very early, and hog the entire beach. These chairs are empty for most of the day ... I counted 16 empty chairs at 1:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon. I plan to contact the County Commission about this nonsense. The same thing happened at the Jazz Fest in April. People were so upset that there were arguments and people almost came to blows. They started moving the chairs....very scary situation. We do not want this on our beautiful beach.
. BB see " early bird gets the beach", I guess on Sowal lounge...same story and pics at blue mt beach county comiss. And code enforcement helped us...sweet victory

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
From another thread.........

"I talked to the Code Enforcement department in Walton County, he said to let him know about chairs without names that is illegal and will stop it ( I have his number but I'm in Alabama for a week and the number is at my house sorry). But call Walton county and ask for code enforcement. I will be doing the same in 10 days Again..... " Power in Numbers"."

Contact your county commissioner Cindy Meadows
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

BB

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
Picture of just a few of the empty chairs

Here is a picture of just some of the Grayton Beach empty rental chairs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,304

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Today, there was a long line of them set up on Grayton Beach, probably five times as many as in the photo above. It looked like three different types/at least two different company names on the back. 80+% of them were totally empty and unoccupied. It visually clutters the beach as one of the things I love about Grayton beach is that it used to not have all the empty tourist chairs lining the beach. As mentioned by someone above, I don't begrudge the vendors being there to provide chairs (there are times I kinda like to not have to haul my own chairs down), BUT I do have a problem with chairs being set up for nonexistent users that block the beach and make it look busy when it's not. Thanks for passing on the commissioner info.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
One of the things I like about Grayton is it has never looked like Destin or PCB with rental chairs from one end of the beach to the other end.