• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This ran in today's Atlanta Journal Constitution. Just a reminder that it is turtle season. Please fill in any holes you see left on the beach!

This happened somewhere in Sowal according to the article. Never saw anything about it on the board...

"Finding an endangered sea turtle tail up with its head buried in a sandy pit, perhaps dead, is a rough way to start a beautiful Florida morning.
But for Johndra Culp and Richard Fowlkes, a couple Atlanta expatriates, their advocacy for the gigantic sea creatures means not just digging the turtles but, in this case, actually digging them out."

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/the-amazing-sea-turtle-rescue/ngR6J/

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Yes, let me second the request to fill in holes. Our beach had some this past week and they not only endanger the turtles, they can endanger people walking the beach at night. The kids should be allowed to play but all holes should be filled in on leaving the beach.

Rachael Ashman McKee

Beach Lover
May 21, 2012
Seacrest
Public or private. This sea turtle just knows that she must deliver where she was born around 30 years ago. I was shocked to see how shallow this hole was and that a sea turtle was stuck basically digging her own grave. We have always filled in holes, but after seeing this, I'm afraid we never filled them in enough. Noted. Truly, I love to watch people arrive on the beach. It's usually the little girls that flit around while the boys dig a hole. They may use their hands, a shovel, a cup etc, but cradle to the grave, they do dig. So let's educate with voice and relish, the need to fill in those holes. The pictures from a previous post are incredible and if I knew how, I would post them so take a second to look.