• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Sorry but I do not feel sorry for any beach front owner losing their property due to mother nature. Building on dunes is a huge mistake. Most people know they are in jeopardy - especially someone who bought right next to an outflow.

In the rare case that someone was stupid enough to think that since the house was already there it must be safe....no sympathy for stupid.

Note: do not buy waterfront property anywhere in the world unless you can afford to lose it.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Mike: The current owner of the house we are talking about has owned it since before 1980. He has suffered all the slings and arrows of Mother Nature since that time. The erosion problem that is now occurring began in 2004 immediately after the developer to the east deposited the sand piles.

Here's an analogy: let's say you lived in a typical subdivision and your neighbor next door brought in 2000 cubic yards of fill dirt and raised his yard 6 feet higher than yours. And now every time it rains, your basement gets flooded. Is this Mother Nature?

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
This is what the inlet use to look like...

Attachments

• Inlet 2004.jpg
    Inlet 2004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 880

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
A comparison:

Attachments

• Inlet Photo (5).jpg
    Inlet Photo (5).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 890

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Here's some better views from a historical and visual perspective.

January 13, 1994
Eastern Lake 011394.jpg

January 15, 1999
Eastern Lake 011599.jpg

January 14, 2003
Eastern Lake 111403.jpg

November 26, 2003
Eastern Lake 112903.jpg

December 30, 2004
Eastern Lake 123004.jpg

Note that historically the outfall has ventured west and along the dune line in front of the house in question.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm not asserting that the inlet hasn't ventured westward many many times. I am asserting the inlet has ventured eastward many, many times. In fact it has ventured onto Worth Williams' property as lately as 2003. I am asserting that the artificial deposit of compaction grade sand significantly altered the ecosystem, so that it is now causing severe erosion on the east side of the inlet. None of your photos show it near the existing house on the east side.

Attachments

• 1975 and 2005.jpg
    1975 and 2005.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 774
  • Eastern Lake 1969.jpg
    Eastern Lake 1969.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 789
  • GPS Map.jpg
    GPS Map.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 789

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Here is what I am talking about when I talk about the "sandbar" that has never been an issue in this lake until the sand deposits of 2005.

Attachments

• Eastern Lake Channel.jpg
    Eastern Lake Channel.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 804
Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Some of you may not have a good grasp of the timeline of these events. Hurricane Ivan hit in late 2004 and altered the inlet significantly west. Worth Williams deposited about 25 dumptruck loads of sand in May of 2005, on the last day before turtle season, on a Sunday, in the rain, thus assuring that the sand would not be spread as was stipulated in the "permit" he was issue. He basically said "oops", and left his sand barrier in place. Thus, when Hurricane Dennis hit in 2005, it altered the flow of the inlet to the point it was undermining the house on the west side. Local's photos show that historically, the inlet never has gotten to the point of undermining this house, and indeed, the surrounding protective shrubbery was intact after Ivan, in his photos and mine. So, it seems like a fairly common sense assumption that since no other act of Mother Nature has undermined this house since the late seventies, that maybe this addition of sand, which may have been the only sand ever artificially added to this location, since the beginning of time, may have been a determining factor.

The owner of the house on the west side has made repeated offers to sell portions of his property to help the county fix this situation, if the owner on the east, Worth Williams, would sell equal portions of his property to help fix the situation. Mr. Williams has refused, and threatened lawsuit, if any of his sand is removed. Worth Williams has offered to sell his unbuildable property to the county for $3 million dollars.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Some of you may not have a good grasp of the timeline of these events. Hurricane Ivan hit in late 2004 and altered the inlet significantly west. Worth Williams deposited about 25 dumptruck loads of sand in May of 2005, on the last day before turtle season, on a Sunday, in the rain, thus assuring that the sand would not be spread as was stipulated in the "permit" he was issue. He basically said "oops", and left his sand barrier in place. Thus, when Hurricane Dennis hit in 2005, it altered the flow of the inlet to the point it was undermining the house on the west side. Local's photos show that historically, the inlet never has gotten to the point of undermining this house, and indeed, the surrounding protective shrubbery was intact after Ivan, in his photos and mine. So, it seems like a fairly common sense assumption that since no other act of Mother Nature has undermined this house since the late seventies, that maybe this addition of sand, which may have been the only sand ever artificially added to this location, since the beginning of time, may have been a determining factor. The owner of the house on the west side has made repeated offers to sell portions of his property to help the county fix this situation, if the owner on the east, Worth Williams, would sell equal portions of his property to help fix the situation. Mr. Williams has refused, and threatened lawsuit, if any of his sand is removed. Worth Williams has offered to sell his unbuildable property to the county for $3 million dollars.
this Worth(what? guy) real stand up guy.