• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I get the whole impact fees. I don't get that our roads will be more dangerous for walkers and bicyclers.

I also get that it was sold. I think our local govnt is not protecting what this town was built on. I think it's sad that we are selling the buildings that are considered "historic". We are counting on the beach and our awesome food for tourism, but we are losing our history. That is sad. It's our heritage. We need to stand up for it.

I didn't mean it sarcastically or in a bad way, just saying that it might be an idea worth looking at by the BCC.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Am I missing something? The developers of the Viridian have owned the Seagrove Village Market for over 20 years.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The best way to preserve an iconic or historical building is for someone to buy it and preserve it themselves. Rarely do municipalities have the vision or funds to do so.

SkinShark

Beach Lover
Aug 16, 2012
Am I missing something? The developers of the Viridian have owned the Seagrove Village Market for over 20 years.

Then it's just bad architecture. I would've somehow built something to blend in with existing buildings. "The way we were" before the new structure was built. The modern building could have easily been "old Florida design" with exactly the same square footage as the future building. People would still walk or ride by and admire such a dominant corner on 30A.

I know it's their property and they have the right to do what they want, but I still find it heart aching. I loved the way this town was before all the new stuff. Don't fix it unless it is broken.

Still think sowal needs a historic foundation.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I like diversity but enough with the South Beach look! Have you seen the pic of the new Inlet Beach motel?

Maybe even worse is the cookie cutter "Orlando look".

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
There is always much derision and complaints about what the BCC does but never any compliments. Well, here's one. One of the best things the BCC ever did was establish the 50' limit for buildings along 30A and the coast. A big THUMBS UP to the BCC for this one.

Our BCC had nothing to do with imposing the height restrictions on buildings in our county. It was State imposed because the powers at be in our county would not come up with a comprehensive plan required by the State. The
State is responsible for our current height restriction not our County Commissioner's. However they have been more than happy to take credit for it for all these years!

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
There is always much derision and complaints about what the BCC does but never any compliments. Well, here's one. One of the best things the BCC ever did was establish the 50' limit for buildings along 30A and the coast. A big THUMBS UP to the BCC for this one.

Our BCC had nothing to do with imposing the height restrictions on buildings in our county. It was State imposed because the powers at be in our county would not come up with a comprehensive plan required by the State. The State is responsible for our current height restriction not our County Commissioner's. However, they have been more than happy to take credit for it for all these years!