• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
"In Florida the bicycle is legally defined as a vehicle and the bicyclist is a driver. Bicyclists have the same rights to the roadways, and must obey the same traffic laws as the drivers of other vehicles. These laws include stopping for stop signs and red lights, riding with the flow of traffic, using lights at night, yielding the right-of-way when entering a roadway and yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks." -
See more at: http://floridabicycle.org/bicycle-traffic-law/#sthash.9vKUGMFX.dpuf

But, they never do, in my experience. I've seen what you describe before on 30A and I've seen them run the stop signs more times than I can count.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
Blasting through crosswalks with families in them yelling at the family to move.

that's the one I see all the time that makes me want to buy a train horn for my car

I have seen groups of motorcyclists at 4-way intersections, like Grayton Cnrs, where the lead bikers stops in the middle of the intersection and lets his team through and rejoins them on tail end and they move on. I don't know if this is legal but it seems to be a well managed solution and causes much less confusion for everyone. I do think the bike path is dangerous with cars pulling out of side streets and driveways onto 30a by tourists and locals alike.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I have seen groups of motorcyclists at 4-way intersections, like Grayton Cnrs, where the lead bikers stops in the middle of the intersection and lets his team through and rejoins them on tail end and they move on. I don't know if this is legal but it seems to be a well managed solution and causes much less confusion for everyone. I do think the bike path is dangerous with cars pulling out of side streets and driveways onto 30a by tourists and locals alike.

No, it's not legal. Can you just start directing traffic any old time you feel like it?

It's not a solution either. If ignoring the rules of the road is a part of your workout routine you need to seriously rethink it.

Autigr89

Beach Comber
Aug 13, 2012
Seagrove Beach
We spent almost $2m under Com. C. Jones to have a "Bike Path" put in. NO ONE seems to use it except tourist baby buggies, unlicensed golf carts, causual bikers, etc.

Now this "monster" rears it very ugly head... Lance want to be's, beware, you are unwanted on our roads. Our local small businessesl cannot tolerate your abuse of FSS. They cannot survive.

We have gulf carts and other things to deal with...

Bike riders be damned...

Wear a helmet and cite FSS. Our sheriff won't enforce it...

I just got done with my daily use of the pedestrian path, and I encourage folks to reach out to the county commissioners about the safety of the path. For quite some time I have used the path and have watched it decline over the years.

From use of the contractors building homes to the vendors delivering to stores the pedi path gets a lot of use, and needs to be maintained as well as repaired. The path: has roots growing through, cracks from freezing and thawing, sand from local streets, trucks that use it as parking, folks that use is as a parking lot, as well as many other functions like walking, running and biking. I am one of those folks that has an eliptigo as well as a regular bike, I tend to use the path and not the road when I can. However, with the decline of the pedi path I find myself using the road more and more trying not to wreck, or break my bikes.

In conclusion, please help by writing or calling our county commissioners as well as the TDC, so our path can get some much needed attention, thanks.