• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
One of the big arguments offered by the "NO" group at the forum last night was that only three members of the school board could determine if a superintendent should be retained or fired. This is true. Let me say this about that. If a superintendent is so inept or becomes so dictatorial that the parents, students and public complain, it won't be three board members who vote to fire. It will be all five. Afteall, they are elected.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The argument about the board potentially hiring a "liberal" superintendent was hilarious as well. Last time I checked, professional job qualifications for superintendent don't usually have that box to check. If "liberal" or "conservative" is one of the qualifications, then it needs to stay an elected position. Aye yi yi.

All in all it was a great night and thanks to the North Walton Republicans for having an event open to all. Dr. Patrick Ferry did a magnificent job for the YES referendum side, speaking factually instead of the lame "what ifs" and "this one school district in Alabama" anecdotes, along with my favorite, the "we are a top 10 Florida school" sound byte that is continually brought up by the NO team.

This is easy- YES is positive for our kids. NO is negative.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
It is a bogus argument that only 3 votes can fire a superintendent. I guess no one has heard of an employment contract? They have something called a termination clause."!! The language in the contract can require a 2/3 vote. I am trying to figure out if the NO crowd thinks the rest of us are blithering idiots.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It is a bogus argument that only 3 votes can fire a superintendent. I guess no one has heard of an employment contract? They have something called a termination clause."!! The language in the contract can require a 2/3 vote. I am trying to figure out if the NO crowd thinks the rest of us are blithering idiots.

The opposition also keeps bringing up specific cases of expensive contract buyouts. First of all, since 2011, it is limited to 20 weeks in Florida. Also, contract terms can be set up at beginning to avoid this stuff. Desperate scare tactics.

I also love that they think it is so great that Florida has more elected superintendents than hired. Yeah, we should be really proud of that fact.:dunno:

Severance Pay
Starting on July 1, 2011, a public employer that enters into a contract or employment agreement (or renews or renegotiates an existing contract/employment agreement containing a provision for severance pay) with an officer, agent, employee or contractor can only include a provision for severance pay (defined as actual or constructive compensation, including salary, benefits or perquisites, for employment services yet to be rendered which is provided to an employee who has recently been or is about to be terminated) in that contract if the contract contains the following: · A requirement that severance pay provided may not exceed an amount greater than 20 weeks of compensation.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Guess how university and college presidents are chosen? Not by election, of course. Ultimately picked by boards of regents and governors, but choices narrowed down based on qualifications, not politics.

I asked the opposition speaker, Donnie Richardson, specifically about this last night, as he is on the board at NWFSC (according to his own bio). His answer was vague and was something about it was not the same thing since the governor picks and he himself really wasn't on the "big" board but the "little" board.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

A very good point almost totally overlook by both sides. An appointed superintendent would certainly be subject to a contract.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The opposition also keeps bringing up specific cases of expensive contract buyouts. First of all, since 2011, it is limited to 20 weeks in Florida. Also, contract terms can be set up at beginning to avoid this stuff. Desperate scare tactics.

I also love that they think it is so great that Florida has more elected superintendents than hired. Yeah, we should be really proud of that fact.:dunno:

Severance Pay
Starting on July 1, 2011, a public employer that enters into a contract or employment agreement (or renews or renegotiates an existing contract/employment agreement containing a provision for severance pay) with an officer, agent, employee or contractor can only include a provision for severance pay (defined as actual or constructive compensation, including salary, benefits or perquisites, for employment services yet to be rendered which is provided to an employee who has recently been or is about to be terminated) in that contract if the contract contains the following: · A requirement that severance pay provided may not exceed an amount greater than 20 weeks of compensation.

So, if Mrs. Anderson was appointed and the board decided to fire her, it would cost around $45,000 all inclusive. Seems to me a small price to pay. Under the current system, we could elect a complete idiot (not saying we have) and his/her contract is four years long. That costs the taxpayer upwards of $500,000 in salary and benefits (conservatively). Now tell me, which is a more fiscally conservative approach to managing the county's education funds: To appoint someone that can be fired? or be stuck with someone not up to the job?

Last edited by a moderator:

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
Is the bottom line question, what happens to the standard of education in the county.

As it stands
For the fifth year in a row, Florida’s public school system ranks among the best in the country, according to the latest annual analysis by Education Week. Released this morning, the highly anticipated “Quality Counts” report puts Florida at No. 6 among states this year, trailing only Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Virginia and Arkansas. In the previous four years, Florida came in at No. 11, No. 8, No. 5 and No. 11, respectively. - See more at: http://www.redefinedonline.org/2013...-6-in-education-quality/#sthash.wrCpp3aL.dpuf

If elected supers outweigh appointed, in Florida, then would the improving standards mentioned be affected if changed? Just askin....