• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

How did you vote in the School Board Referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just an informal poll to gauge public voting trends. I wouldn't put to much credit into the results.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
haven't voted yet but definitely will vote YES... do I have to wait until I DO vote to do this poll?

No, vote before or after, the ultimate issue is that you do vote before then end of the primaries. Voting here does nothing if you haven't actually​ voted.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
No, vote before or after, the ultimate issue is that you do vote before then end of the primaries. Voting here does nothing if you haven't actually​ voted.

gotcha.

here's some general info from Walton Co. website, for reference:

Primary Election - August 26, 2014 (7am - 7pm)

General Election - November 4, 2014 (7am - 7pm)

• [*=left]Early Voting: October 25th-31st, (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM) and November 1st, (7:00 AM - 7:00 PM) - Locations
    [*=left]Registration Deadline: October 6, 2014 at 5pm - Details
    [*=left]Candidate Qualifying: Qualifying Details
    [*=left]Who Can Vote?: Voters who reside in Walton County and are registered before the deadline
    [*=left]Where Do I Vote?: Voting Locations
    [*=left]Voter Information: List of Candidates

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Without all the shouting... What is this about?

There are those who believe the Superintendent of Schools should be appointed. The belief is that there is more accountability because the School Board can hire and fire that individual. That the Superintendent would have higher/more qualifications and would move us into a direction of more professionally run school system. These are just a couple of reasons that I will be voting yes.

On the other hand there are those that electing the Superintendent is how it should remain. They point to the numbers that puts our school district as an A school and believe that is through the leadership of the Superintendent. They believe there is accountability every 4 years. There is also the belief that by hiring you are taking the vote from the electorate.

I know that there will be more comments to follow and I am sure they will explain the reasons better than me.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
There are those who believe the Superintendent of Schools should be appointed. The belief is that there is more accountability because the School Board can hire and fire that individual. That the Superintendent would have higher/more qualifications and would move us into a direction of more professionally run school system. These are just a couple of reasons that I will be voting yes.

On the other hand there are those that electing the Superintendent is how it should remain. They point to the numbers that puts our school district as an A school and believe that is through the leadership of the Superintendent. They believe there is accountability every 4 years. There is also the belief that by hiring you are taking the vote from the electorate.

I know that there will be more comments to follow and I am sure they will explain the reasons better than me.

The hired/appointed Superintendent provides much more accountability. It also give the elected School Board members more authority. There are only a handful of counties in the U.S. that have elected Superintendents. Even in Florida, not all Superintendents are elected. The qualifications to run for Superintendent in Walton county are a joke. It is not taking away the vote from the electorate. School Board members are elected to serve the constituents. Anyone who has lived in other places know it is a better system. I will definitely be voting YES.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Would a hired superintendent, for example, be harder to get rid of? I'm thinking teachers unions/tenure /etc.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Would a hired superintendent, for example, be harder to get rid of? I'm thinking teachers unions/tenure /etc.
Well it would seems they would be easier to get rid of. Also they would not be tenured as they are, or would seem to be, an at will employee with a contract. Based on what I have read and what has been posted there is a cap on serverence. Also the Legislators took tenure away from new hire teachers, and before that I think they had to survive 3 years to obtain tenure. I do not know if Walton County Teachers negotiated tenure away or if they have a mix. Of course this is just my view as you asked. I tried to give you a non confrontational view as I try to see both sides.

Last edited: