• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Phead and Jfunn have a date at the Sea Bar next Sunday. His #1 concern is the oysters. Yay or nay this year? Are they ok to eat? Jfunn said lots of people have been getting sick. Anyone know? :dunno:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Why would anything be wrong with them? I have consumed plenty of bivalves from both Appalachicola Bay and Louisiana waters. People get so freaked-out by tainted seafood when the reality is that the industry is regulated by both the government and itself! The seafood industry does NOT want rumors of a dangerous product hitting the news ala Mad Cow disease. It is safe!

You think these folks don't care about the product? Look at the flowchart for Florida oysters:http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/haccp/plans/oysters-fl.htm

Eat, drink and be merry! :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kimmifunn said:
Phead and Jfunn have a date at the Sea Bar next Sunday. His #1 concern is the oysters. Yay or nay this year? Are they ok to eat? Jfunn said lots of people have been getting sick. Anyone know? :dunno:
I guess that depends on the vender. I won't eat raw oysters at all places that serve them. Yesterday, I had my first oysters since about this time in 2005, due to Red Tide closing the beds for so much of this past fall. They were the best! I ate only 3 dz (only $14.95, but that is high for PC) , but I could have gone for 6dz. I no longer bother with the saltines. Just a little sauce and big ole juicy, salty, fresh Apalachicola Oysters. Those alone are worth the trip to Panty Maw -- Captain's Table on Beck Ave -- yummy!

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Oh, I love the Captain's Table on Beck! Didn't know it was still there. We get fresh Appalachicolas on the half-shell at Goatfeathers for $3.99 a dozen this time of year. One of their waitresses once told us that we could get a half-dozen for $5.99 from the menu, or we could have a dozen at $3.99 because they were having a special. :dunno: Said they were the same oysters, just depending upon how we ordered them. We learn something every trip.

If you're concerned about the oysters, have a glass of sauvignon blanc with them. The wine contains a substance that will neutralize any possible salmonella in the oysters. I still prefer a cold brew (Anchor Steam) with mine, though. I don't think I've ever become sick after eating oysters in the area. But I got a bad case once from a tira misu with spoiled mascarpone at Bud & Alley's. Ewwwww.... :sosad:

I love raw oysters - one of my faves as a Tulane student. But nowadays I'm scared to eat them until I have the courage to get vaccinated against hepatitis. Yes, I know the "R" month rule, but I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac.

I went to two different Subway's yesterday because the sandwich preparer used the phone with his gloves on, then started touching my sandwich. He refused to change gloves. Then at the second Subway, the sandwich preparer collected money from a customer with his gloves on, and then proceeded to make my sandwich. I left and went to Chick-Fil-A. Of course, I didn't see what they did to my sandwich - they could have put a bugger in it or dropped it on the floor.

Guess I should have made my own sandwiches. But when was the last time they cleaned the slicer at the Publix deli ... and does the person behind the counter have TB and sneezed on the slicer just prior to my arrival ... :eek:

I could fix my own chicken, but have you ever seen the Cagle's chicken trucks rolling down the highway? Doug and David Cagle, I love y'all (old friends of mine), but honey, those chickens look pretty sick, and that's what they serve at Chick-Fil-A.

Oh, heck, we're totally out of control on our sources of food. If one thought about all of the possibilities of bad things that could happen to the food one ingests ... well, you get my drift.

Woo-hoo! Thanks for inadvertently making be go through this thought process. I'm having raw oysters at the beach. One-and-a-half more "R" months!

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
Beach Runner said:
I love raw oysters - one of my faves as a Tulane student. But nowadays I'm scared to eat them until I have the courage to get vaccinated against hepatitis.

Be Courageous and DO get vaccinated against hepatitis....I put it off for a long time and it ended up being no big deal....just finished my last shot....I am assuming it's now safe for me to eat raw oysters....but would appreciate any input to either confirm or re-educate me on this. I love them but have totally stayed clear for past several years....ever since I heard about a man who became totally paralyzed from eating raw oysters....does anyone know anything about this?? :dunno: Of course, I don't think the Hep vaccine would prevent that, but just trying to know what the risk is. Reading your posts about these yummies is making me crazy!!! THANKS!!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Beach Runner said:
I love raw oysters - one of my faves as a Tulane student. But nowadays I'm scared to eat them until I have the courage to get vaccinated against hepatitis. Yes, I know the "R" month rule, but I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac.

I went to two different Subway's yesterday because the sandwich preparer used the phone with his gloves on, then started touching my sandwich. He refused to change gloves. Then at the second Subway, the sandwich preparer collected money from a customer with his gloves on, and then proceeded to make my sandwich. I left and went to Chick-Fil-A. Of course, I didn't see what they did to my sandwich - they could have put a bugger in it or dropped it on the floor.

Guess I should have made my own sandwiches. But when was the last time they cleaned the slicer at the Publix deli ... and does the person behind the counter have TB and sneezed on the slicer just prior to my arrival ... :eek:

I could fix my own chicken, but have you ever seen the Cagle's chicken trucks rolling down the highway? Doug and David Cagle, I love y'all (old friends of mine), but honey, those chickens look pretty sick, and that's what they serve at Chick-Fil-A.

Oh, heck, we're totally out of control on our sources of food. If one thought about all of the possibilities of bad things that could happen to the food one ingests ... well, you get my drift.

Woo-hoo! Thanks for inadvertently making be go through this thought process. I'm having raw oysters at the beach. One-and-a-half more "R" months!

I eat my oysters in the A months-ALL! Ice and refrigeration means "eat 'em if you got 'em". What was your favorite oyster eatery in NOLA? I like Cassamentos on Magazine Street. Which leads to a great debate between Mrs Skunkape and myself. She swears Apalachicola oysters are better than the Louisiana variety due to the appreciable saltiness. While I admit Florida's bivalves are saltier, I prefer the creamier, plumper ones they catch in our murky water. Either way you cut it, support your local fisherman and eat more oysters! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
30A Skunkape said:
I eat my oysters in the A months-ALL! Ice and refrigeration means "eat 'em if you got 'em". What was your favorite oyster eatery in NOLA? I like Cassamentos on Magazine Street. Which leads to a great debate between Mrs Skunkape and myself. She swears Apalachicola oysters are better than the Louisiana variety due to the appreciable saltiness. While I admit Florida's bivalves are saltier, I prefer the creamier, plumper ones they catch in our murky water. Either way you cut it, support your local fisherman and eat more oysters! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There used to be a place called Tylers Beer Garden on Magazine... or maybe it was Tchop? The John Rivers Movement would play jazz there. They used to have 10 cent oyster night on Thursdays.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
pk305 said:
Beach Runner said:
I love raw oysters - one of my faves as a Tulane student. But nowadays I'm scared to eat them until I have the courage to get vaccinated against hepatitis.

Be Courageous and DO get vaccinated against hepatitis....I put it off for a long time and it ended up being no big deal....just finished my last shot....I am assuming it's now safe for me to eat raw oysters....but would appreciate any input to either confirm or re-educate me on this. I love them but have totally stayed clear for past several years....ever since I heard about a man who became totally paralyzed from eating raw oysters....does anyone know anything about this?? :dunno: Of course, I don't think the Hep vaccine would prevent that, but just trying to know what the risk is. Reading your posts about these yummies is making me crazy!!! THANKS!!

Skunkape MD says you have been vaccinated against Hepatitis B. If you were to develop Hepatitis from an oyster, it would be more likely to be Hepatitis A. Here is the deal...Hepatitis A is spread via the fecal/oral route. It is pretty common where the folks are exposed to raw sewage;you get the idea. In most cases, Hep A is an unpleasant experience compete with fever, jaundice, GI distress, etc, but healthy folks almost always recover without longterm problems. Hepatitis B is bloodborne or spread with contact of body fluids. It is really, really, REALLY unlikely you would develop Hepatitis B from a raw oyster. Now, the real confusion with oysters and hepatitis started when the health warning signs popped-up. People who HAVE liver disease of any etiology including active Hepatitis B or C have a much harder time recovering from acute hepatitis A because it takes a huge toll on an already stressed liver. If you REALLY want to protect yourself, you can get a Hepatitis A vaccine. My official advice-You no doubt had a hepatitis panel drawn prior to your vaccination. If you were not told you have Hep C, and you are now vaccinated against Hep B, eat as many oysters as you can get your hands on! They are safe! :lol: