• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yesterday I received a "letter bomb" thru the mail that questioned Sharon's Roberts MBA.

Today I received a "letter bomb" thru the mail "educating me" on Kim Kirby's tenure as City Manager of DeFuniak Springs.

No disclaimer on either and no return address on the envelope it was mailed in. Letter bombs are beginning to outnumber legal campaign literature.

So far I've receive pieces like this on Cecilia Jones, Bill Eddins, Sharon Roberts, and Kim Kirby.

So much for "local values"

This kind of nasty is clearly designed to scare away any candidates who haven't lived here long enough to be de-sensitized to the nastiness. While I didn't vote for some of the candidates that were "bombed", no candidate or their family should have to be subjected to cowardly attacks. I don't know why some people keep trying to make our county a stereotypical joke.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Because they are scared. Scared of change. Scared because they have been taught that any ideas not originating from a Walton County native should be viewed as interlopers trying to change their way of life. Scared that people might be persuaded to vote in their own self-interest instead of what they are told is in their self-interest. Sadly Walton County is a microcosm of American politics. It us prevalent almost everywhere. That's why we need a win on the superintendent issue. We need to show that parents and voters can really make a difference.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Because they are scared. Scared of change. Scared because they have been taught that any ideas not originating from a Walton County native should be viewed as interlopers trying to change their way of life. Scared that people might be persuaded to vote in their own self-interest instead of what they are told is in their self-interest. Sadly Walton County is a microcosm of American politics. It us prevalent almost everywhere. That's why we need a win on the superintendent issue. We need to show that parents and voters can really make a difference.

Another person attempting to make it a North/ South issue or a local/ non local issue. It amazes me that what you think is right for the county is obviously the only way. People are voting their self interest, unfortunately it does not agree with what your self interest is. Look, I vote based on my self interest some of it may agree with yours and some may not. Whether you like it or not it is my right to vote how I see fit, it is your right to express your views, opinions to change my mind but in the end it is my decision. I will also at the end not begrudge the voters choice, doesn't mean I will like it just means I will respect it. Not a whole lot of difference really, both sides think they are right whether you chose to agree or not is what matters. Vote Yes

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014

Well said. I agree 100%.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Another person attempting to make it a North/ South issue or a local/ non local issue. It amazes me that what you think is right for the county is obviously the only way. People are voting their self interest, unfortunately it does not agree with what your self interest is. Look, I vote based on my self interest some of it may agree with yours and some may not. Whether you like it or not it is my right to vote how I see fit, it is your right to express your views, opinions to change my mind but in the end it is my decision. I will also at the end not begrudge the voters choice, doesn't mean I will like it just means I will respect it. Not a whole lot of difference really, both sides think they are right whether you chose to agree or not is what matters. Vote Yes

Bob,

I don't get your reference to North v. South county. The issue of voting against your own self-interest has been studied for the past 50 years by political scientists. The more educated and affluent the voter, the more likely they are to always vote for their own economic self-interest. Those on the lower end of the socio-economic and educational spectrum tend to unknowingly vote against their best interests more often. Not because they are dumb, but because political operatives have mastered the art of manipulating them with emotional issues instead of facts. I can give you a long bibliography of studies if you need them. The point I was making us that studies show that school systems with appointed superintendents have better performing schools on average. I haven't even seen arguments on the NO side disputing this. Instead, the NO side is using the politics of fear to get people to leave the system the way it is. Haven't heard any NO say, Education standards will decline and here are the studies that show it. Instead they say....the YES crowd is taking away your right to vote. ( when in my opinion we are elevating their responsibility to vote for good school board members who have more power). The new superintendent is going to be a "liberal". ( why? The school board that would choose the superintendent is certainly not a bastion of left wing radicals.)We need someone with Walton County values running our schools. ( what exactly are values exclusive to Walton County that the good people from other places do not have? This is fear-based politics. Democrats and Republicans have used it for years depending upon the issue. It is almost always used when the facts do not support their position.

teacher's aide

Beach Comber
Jul 27, 2014
This kind of nasty is clearly designed to scare away any candidates who haven't lived here long enough to be de-sensitized to the nastiness. While I didn't vote for some of the candidates that were "bombed", no candidate or their family should have to be subjected to cowardly attacks. I don't know why some people keep trying to make our county a stereotypical joke.

It is also dirty to steal or destroy signs of your opposition. A candidate told me yesterday that he had lost over 100 signs and that someone was also running over his signs. He also told me that the spouse of another candidate was going to his supporters trying to intimidate them and that his children's employers have been called in an effort to get them in trouble. Those kinds of things are just awful. It is no wonder that many good, decent people refuse to run for public office.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Sounds like typical C Jones material.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
What is this occupancy certificate you speak of? How do I get one? If I decide to open a new business, who do I call for this?

There is already a business license for working from home in Walton County.
The "license" was proposed to help SWFD know what businesses are there, but that's already covered with occupancy certificate. If the business type changes, new inspection, new occupancy certificate.
If the "license" was really to address safety, then why not once cent of the $50 would go to swfd. ?
$20 - cost to collect
$20 general county fund
$10 Economic Development
The small business group is not totally against a license, if the funds go where they are supposed to, the license covers what its supposed to cover, and proper records kept.
Certainly opposed to another tax cos that is what it is at the end of the day.
All that's open for debate.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
It is also dirty to steal or destroy signs of your opposition. A candidate told me yesterday that he had lost over 100 signs and that someone was also running over his signs. He also told me that the spouse of another candidate was going to his supporters trying to intimidate them and that his children's employers have been called in an effort to get them in trouble. Those kinds of things are just awful. It is no wonder that many good, decent people refuse to run for public office.
Call sheriffs office. They love to investigate allegations of political wrong doings...

Except when it involves their leaders contributors.

Typical Walton County...

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
What is this occupancy certificate you speak of? How do I get one? If I decide to open a new business, who do I call for this?
SWFD issues a cert based on safety. Check with Mr Sanchez there as he does the inspections.
Planning also signs off of the building confirming its in compliance. You cant open without either of these