• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JKBeach

Beach Comber
Nov 4, 2012
Seagrove, FL
I was recently visiting 30A and noticed construction on a lot that looks like a swamp. The location is on the west side of South Lake Drive near Eastern Lake. The builder has installed metal walls to hold the soil in place and the water back, and has some pretty big culverts laying around.

I was surprised that the county would allow a builder to fill in what appears to be a swamp. With all the flooding that SoWal experienced this year, it seems like filling in what looks like a swamp would make flooding worse. Not to mention it is one block from Eastern Lake.

Do any of you know if this sort of thing routinely done?

Is this a special situation?

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I think you might be referring to Prominence on the otherside of Watersound. There was a pond there in the original development in front of the townhouses, which they filled in. Sinkhole waiting to happen!

JKBeach

Beach Comber
Nov 4, 2012
Seagrove, FL
I think you might be referring to Prominence on the otherside of Watersound. There was a pond there in the original development in front of the townhouses, which they filled in. Sinkhole waiting to happen!

I know where you are talking about, but that is not it.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I know where you are talking about, South Lake Drive, and the dummies that started that fiasco have been shut down by the county, from what I have heard. It's been abandoned for probably more than four months now. I hope the county makes them remove what they already did. I heard a story that the ground was so mucky that a front end loader completely sank, and is still beneath the "ground" under one of those lots.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Is this any relation to the issue on San Juan where a Cypress Head was destroyed?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm aware of the issue in San Juan. Some people, in a lot of low lying areas just try to fill their lots without talking to anyone. Often, they get busted.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm aware of the issue in San Juan. Some people, in a lot of low lying areas just try to fill their lots without talking to anyone. Often, they get busted.[/QUOTE

I meant to say "not aware".

seanote

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2007
The builder is back up and running. From what I was told they are planning two houses on pilings, three stories tall, both houses WITH POOLS!!!! I live in the neighborhood and am absolutely shocked that this was approved. For those who aren't familiar with the area. The two lots were literally swamps. I don't mean just low land, I mean under water.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yes, it is rather disgusting. I can't understand why it was approved either.