• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
Can anyone tell me if this is a deeded or dedicated beach access owned by the county (or some other non-private entity)? I'm looking at property around there and wanted to make sure that that was an 'official' access and not some illegal footpath that would one day be gone. Thanks in advance.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Attached is the original plat for Beach Highlands showing the easement. It is owned by the county and will be improved similar to the Stalworth access.

Some residents in the area seem to be confused by this designation and feel it is there's despite deed of ownership.

Attachments

• Beach Highlands.pdf
    202.3 KB · Views: 145

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for posting the plat, Local.
Hmmm. I looked at the Walton County Property Appraisers web site and saw that Lot 3, which is gulf front on the lower right corner of the plat, is the only one in the subdivision that shows lot lines to the water. Looked at the Clerk's documents linked to the appraiser's site, and the older of the sales show transfer of Lot 3 Beach Highlands subdivison, etc., with no legal description of the lot. The most recent sale however shows an attached legal description which describes the lot as bounded by "to the water's edge of the Gulf of Mexico" as a part of the legal description.
I have seen this before. Can anyone tell me how lots in subdivisions with a plat that clearly shows the beach as not a part of the lot suddenly include similar language and now 'own' the beach??

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
I'd seen it listed as a NEIGHBORHOOD beach access, which could be taken to mean its only for residents of Beach Highlands. Wonder if that's where the confusion comes from.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'd seen it listed as a NEIGHBORHOOD beach access, which could be taken to mean its only for residents of Beach Highlands. Wonder if that's where the confusion comes from.

That is the TDC's way of classifying accesses, neighborhood as opposed to regional. The regional accesses have parking, restrooms, and life guards. It doesn't mean neighborhood as in neighborhood only, everyone else keep out. It does mean anyone not living in the neighborhood will have a hard time using it unless they walk/bike there from outside of the neighborhood. Some neighborhood accesses do have parking, but a very limited number of spaces, and many have no parking.
I can see how the term could be confusing.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Thanks for posting the plat, Local.
Hmmm. I looked at the Walton County Property Appraisers web site and saw that Lot 3, which is gulf front on the lower right corner of the plat, is the only one in the subdivision that shows lot lines to the water. Looked at the Clerk's documents linked to the appraiser's site, and the older of the sales show transfer of Lot 3 Beach Highlands subdivison, etc., with no legal description of the lot. The most recent sale however shows an attached legal description which describes the lot as bounded by "to the water's edge of the Gulf of Mexico" as a part of the legal description.
I have seen this before. Can anyone tell me how lots in subdivisions with a plat that clearly shows the beach as not a part of the lot suddenly include similar language and now 'own' the beach??

This is the scam that both the BCC and Clerks office seem to be all for allowing. The title company simply changes the legal description and files it with the county. Most people would consider this fraud and illegal taking of land, but the powers that be seem to just look the other way.

As far as the neighborhood access, there is no HOA for Beach Highlands and if owners didn't renew their C&R's prior to 2001 they lost those too. The land has always been county owned since the platting of the subdivision.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I love the fact that's locals are waking up to what's been going on...

Keep it up!