• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

weeniedawg

Banned
Dec 18, 2010
Bruce
Gail Smith won't be getting my vote. I'd love to know what her reasoning is to keep the "any yahoo that gets elected plays a key role in your child's future" standard versus hiring a qualified individual.
Smith did't get my vote in the last election. She was Carlene Anderson's hand picked lap dog from the get go.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Well, at least we all now know where she stands on one issue. It is enough to lose my vote as she obviously doesn't understand that the controlling body is the school board who dictates to the superintendent, not the other way around. I shall assist her in finding other ways to productively use her time.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
It appears Franklin County Schools are looking at the possibility of appointing a Superintendent. I think it was school board member being interviewed but I am not sure if this is a school board or public initiative.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
EAST POINT - Franklin County School Board members are asking voters if they want an elected, or appointed Superintendent of schools. They hosted a town hall meeting tonight to give people a chance to discuss their options.

There's been no decision yet to put the issue on a ballot.

Dozens of people gathered in the Franklin County School cafeteria to hear the Florida School Board Association's Executive Director, Dr. Wayne Blanton, talk about the future of the County's Superintendent.

Blanton said, "I was asked to come down and do the workshop on appointed vs. Elected and give them the pros and cons and that's what I have done."

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
What "cons" did he present and did they outweigh the "pros"? I doubt such was the case.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The fact that about 14,500 districts appoint and only 154 elect is a pretty good argument to vote YES on this referendum. The few "cons" that have been put forth by opponents to the referendum are not very strong arguments to keep choosing a school superintendent by a partisan election process.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The only "con" as I understand it, is that you might pay a higher salary. I've perfectly fine with paying a higher salary for someone who is qualified to do the job. This happens all the time in the private sector.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Mrs Anderson stated that she would not run for reelection in 2016 at the School Board meeting when the School Board voted 4-1 to add the referendum to the August Ballot.

She stated to a WJHG reporter on the 25th that she might reconsider her decision if the referendum failed to pass.

No other individuals have stated publicly that they would run in two years.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Mrs Anderson stated that she would not run for reelection in 2016 at the School Board meeting when the School Board voted 4-1 to add the referendum to the August Ballot. She stated to a WJHG reporter on the 25th that she might reconsider her decision if the referendum failed to pass. No other individuals have stated publicly that they would run in two years.

Time to recruit a great candidate and fund the campaign