• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I was told the other day that the hospital in Defuniak does not want the area in front of the hospital on 331 4 laned and it will remain 2 lanes.

This seems like a safety issue and I'm curious as to how they could prevent the State from modifying a State hwy?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Hmmm, I didn't know Ron Kelly was the marketing director for the hospital but I do know of one of the illustrious Board members.....Clayton Adkinson.

Looks like a showdown is in the making.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
If anyone really wants to know who is behind preventing growth in this area they need look no further.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It appears the distance from 331 to the hospital is quite a bit. Somebody please tell me what is the big deal? Four laning 331 is for the safety and benefit of all using it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The problem the hospital has is that the proposed construction does not use the existing roadbed but totally uses the hospital's property. This would render the hospital landlocked and would leave no room for future expansion. Since the land west of the existing roadbed is farmland, the hospital contends it makes far more sense to utilize that land for the new roadway. The state will pay for the right-of-way so the current hospital owners would make more money with the current plan.
Healthcare is a vital component of economic development. Like education, companies desire quality healthcare if they are going to build in an area. So, for the long-term future of North Walton County, keeping the options for expansion/improvement open for the hospital seems to be the best path to take.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Quality health care being the key word Danny, which is why so many in Defuniak utilize Sacred Heart, Crestview and all other health care facilities outside Defuniak.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The problem the hospital has is that the proposed construction does not use the existing roadbed but totally uses the hospital's property. This would render the hospital landlocked and would leave no room for future expansion.

Future expansion?? Why wasn't this a consideration when the hospital was built? There has been talk about 331 being 4 laned for many many years.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
What the hospital said in the paper several weeks ago was that it has always been their long-term plan to expand on the land between the building and the roadway. That was the reason the building is so far away from the current road. There are wetlands to the east and south of the current location.
As far as the quality of care, there is a difference between what we have short-term and what is needed long-term for quality jobs to be located in the North. Hopefully the facilities can be upgraded in the future and people can stay at home for their healthcare. That would be much preferable to the current situation where you must travel 30+ miles one way.
One problem that we keep repeating is thinking only in the short-term instead of taking a long view.