• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
just to be clear now, I have one question for the environmental power rangers.

building a DUNE WALKOVER over an existing path cut thru the existing dunes and vegetation as we have now is more destructive to your way of thinking?

What's your skin in this game, you said you don't live in Walton County. Do they not have forums where you can discuss your own counties issues?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Your map says Stallworth Blvd is a restricted usage road. Thats the endpoint of the journey. I think it's private. I'll find out.

Well I find out there is a public beach access. I would call that a half-assed beach access. I would feel like an intruder going through that tight little neighborhood to get to the beach. Cars parked on both sides of the road, and that's just the people who live there. If I lived there I'd be praying for another beach access somewhere else. Give me a nice walkover over an existing path cut through the existing dunes and vegetation at the outer edge of a state preserve.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well I find out there is a public beach access. I would call that a half-assed beach access. I would feel like an intruder going through that tight little neighborhood to get to the beach. Cars parked on both sides of the road, and that's just the people who live there. If I lived there I'd be praying for another beach access somewhere else. Give me a nice walkover over an existing path cut through the existing dunes and vegetation at the outer edge of a state preserve.

I highlighted the incorrect word. This cuts the area in two with a large area of native scrub and a dune lake separated for no other reason than to get to the beach.

Here's an exercise, find the next area of pristine untouched gulf frontage similar to Topsail. I'll wait.

P.S. You're either talking to yourself or forgot to switch over to your troll screen name.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Hello to all tourists, wedding planners, subdivision residents, school kids, and the BCC...

Spend the $120 for a family annual pass to Florida State Parks.

Not only do you get access to Top'sail Park, but to ALL Florida State Parks!!!!!!

This idea (walk over) is insane and reeks of an agenda. Bet I know what it is...(hello mark)

I have my annual pass, WHY don't you?

Lazy, cheap or ignorant?

Last edited:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I highlighted the incorrect word. This cuts the area in two with a large area of native scrub and a dune lake separated for no other reason than to get to the beach.

Here's an exercise, find the next area of pristine untouched gulf frontage similar to Topsail. I'll wait.

P.S. You're either talking to yourself or forgot to switch over to your troll screen name.

It sounds like you're more concerned about the beach frontage than you are about the walkover. That at least makes a little bit of sense. If it's difficult to get to, it's less likely to be trashed.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
This is a Call to Action!

TDC director Jim Bagby will be once again asking the BCC to vote to approve a letter to be sent to the DRP, State Department of Recreation & Parks, asking them, to develop an MOU, Memorandum of Understanding between Walton County & the DRP for this proposed new access through Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. This is in no way a final decision & the process would be long, but it sends an indication to the State DRP that Walton County is interested in taking the next step.

It is a tacit approval of the concept of this project. With significant opposition to this project for a variety of reasons, this should move no further. I will be asking the commissioners to not sign or approve this letter. Instead I'd like to see them spend their efforts & our resources on a more suitable location that is not within an ecologically significant area like the preserve, know as Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Once a preserve is compromised, there is no turning back. I was told by an official high up in the DRP, it is crucial that we the citizens stop this right here & right now. If this goes to the DRP, it is their obligation as managers of our land, to try to work this out.

Please:
1. come to the meeting & ask the commissioners to not sign the letter and/or
2. write to the commissioners & simply ask them to not sign this letter.

Ask them to abandon the idea of going into Topsail Hill Preserve State Park with an additional access & look for a new access that will be truly available to the public. Please send your email this weekend or the latest on Monday, even if you have emailed in the past. Send your email to every commissioner because we need 3 votes to stop this. It is very important for us to stop this now. Every single email is important. Numbers make a big difference to the commissioners.

The proposal for an additional access into Topsail Hill Preserve is on the Walton County Commission agenda Tuesday, September 9 at 4:00 p.m. Write, call and show up at the meeting again. Tell the Commissioners you do not want multiple accesses into out State Parks. Tell them to vote no on sending a letter to the Florida Division of Recreation and Parks that will start the process of an additional access that will be detrimental to Topsail Hill Preserve

Walton County Commissioners:

William "Bill" Chapman (R), District 1 Commissioner, Chair
District Office:
Office (850) 835-4860
Fax (850) 835-4836
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Kenneth Pridgen (R), District 2 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 834-6328
Fax (850) 834-6385
prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

Bill Imfeld (R), District 3 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 892-8474
Fax (850) 892-4204
imfbill@co.walton.fl.us

Sara Comander (R), District 4 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 835-4834
Fax (850) 951-0868
comsara@co.walton.fl.us

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Save Topsail Preserve - Contact the Florida Division of Recreation and Parks

Another Public hearing will be held Monday September 29, 5:00 at the South Walton Annex PLEASE ATTEND and voice your opposition.

Walton County Tourist Development Council and Cindy Meadows say they have new information but will not share it with the public at this time. They are attempting to change the location of the proposed new access further east, build a bridge across Stallworth Lake ending with an access on the County Property at the end of Stallworth Preserve.

The proposed access will still impact beach dune and canopy scrub that is habitat for several endangered species and now will negatively impact a coastal dune lake. It will also open the flood gates for access into other areas of Topsail Preserve and Grayton Beach and Deer Lake State Parks. Multiple Beach accesses into the parks will destroy the delicate conservation lands that make South Walton a special place.

Email the Florida Division of Recreation and Parks
Tell them:

NO NEW ACCESS INTO TOPSAIL PRESERVE, ANYWHERE.

Sine A. Murray
Office of Park Planning
Division of Recreation & Parks

sine.murray@dep.state.fl.us