• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I don't know much about her, but am interested in learning more about her background and successes/failures while superintendent of Okaloosa County schools. I am not sure that means she is the most qualified, but she might be the most qualified of the maybe politically possible.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Opinions are always subjective, but I know several teachers that don't speak very highly Jennifer Nick. As far as seeing her at Nick's on the bay, my personal experience was not positive. She was not friendly at all, in fact she was arrogant and rude. Her husband is definitely part of the good ole boy club. For anyone who did not see it, he ran an ad in the paper to inform everyone his wife was not the Nick that became the new teachers union president, and left out the part that new union president is his sister-in-law. I know none of this is relevant to qualifications, but it does with character, which is also important. Electing a Superintendent with qualifications any less than a Phd, and experience in educational administration, is a big part of what is wrong with the Walton Count School System. It's highly unlikely there will be a highly qualified leader for Superintendent in this county with the elected selection system. That's why the majority of schools districts throughout the country hire their Superintendent. But enough ranting, we've got what we got, hopefully some better choices will come forward, but I will not vote for Jennifer Nick.

While public figures (a politician in this case) are generally fair game, I'd like to see our community have higher standards and treat people fairly. I don't see why you have to bring up her spouse, and I am confused what the ad you reference says about character anyway. I'd like you to post the ad, or at least explain how it is relevant and what the point of it was.

Also I don't like your hearsay about teachers you know. "Don't speak very highly of" is vague and unhelpful. Do they not like her accent? Her dress? Her professionalism? Her hair color? Unless you have personal knowledge of the candidates qualifications you should stay away from this one. How someone treated you at a restaurant is irrelevant to me. It sounds like someone who posts about a waitress who wasn't pleasant enough and was late with their order. And does someone have to be nice to run our school system? Is that a qualification for you?

Don't question someone's character unless you have something real.

Having said that, I'll kind of do what you did and speak to character of someone I don't know. I've never known a special education teacher who didn't have high character and extreme love and patience - excellent qualities to be a politician in my book.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Is Tibbetts planning to run for superintendent in Walton county?
she has not announced. Just thinking out loud. I think we need to find a strong, qualified candidate and rally around that person instead of just waiting to see who decides to run and complaining about or choices. Just asking if Tibbets might be that person, but I want to know more about her.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Here's a prediction. If the queen runs again she'll win. A lot of voters don't even know about the financial mess and other stuff like 'cocaine teacher' and she'll get most of the campaign funding from the usual sources.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I truly hope that lingering bitterness over the elected/appointed superintendent vote does not get in the way of choosing the best qualified person to fill the job for the next term. Both of these ladies are fine people and deserve to be judged on their relative merits instead of who they are related to. As the old saying goes, you can choose your friends but family is what it is. As far as "good ole boys" this has almost become a code word denigrating any long-term resident of this county. If you have lived in an area for several years and have carried on business there, you are going to have connections with other people. These connections do not mean you cannot judge issues fairly. Or that you will not carry out the duties you were elected to perform to the best of your ability.

When a professional is hired, the qualifications don't include "is a fine person". I would like someone in that seat who would be qualified to be the superintendent in other districts as well- with the same qualifications. Here we go....

We have a long way until the November 2016 election. Looking forward to the usual shenanigans, and pointing out over and over that local county politics and our kids' education don't mix.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I'm just glad both my kids are grown and have college degrees. I'm also glad my grandchildren don't live in Walton County. I suspect that the current political environment will continue with nepotism and the Peter Principle serving as guiding forces in the selection of school system personnel.

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
"Fine person" might not be listed in a set of qualifications but common sense would dictate that we hire "good" or "fine" people for any position instead of "bad" people. By southern definitions a "fine" person is honest, trustworthy, hard-working and loyal. I would think these qualities would be desirable for any position.
Using those characteristics as a baseline, we can then judge candidates by their other merits or qualifications. We can also examine the candidate's record in public service and compare them to each other.