• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Paula said:
Ok, pk305, I'll come clean, too. Last time I was on a bike I fell off the bike right INTO the next door neighbors trash can in the middle of the day. All the bottles that were in the recycling bin clammored down the street, neighbors opened the doors to see the commotion, I had to pick up the trash and then hobble home. I was going to start riding my bike to work and then changed my mind after than incident. But, I, too, am ready to get on the horse again and 30A is just the place to do it -- and maybe I'll get inspired to ride the bike to work as well.

Paula, next time we're in SoWal at the same time, I'll take you out on a bike ride. You'll wonder why you hadn't started riding again years ago!

BTW, my 17 year daughter had a very severe accident on her bicycle not long after she learned to ride--she was maybe only 8 years old or so. Several years went by before she'd even look at a bike, let alone ride. (I honestly don't blame her on that one. :sosad: ) Well, the upshot was that she turned into a teenager with a figure and she wanted to stay in shape. She noticed how much her father and I cycle, and she gritted her teeth, overcame her fear, and got back on the bike. Never looked back! In fact, she wore my bike out. :roll: I have to buy a new one because the shop said it's not worth it to repair given the cost of all the parts and labor. :eek:

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
I recommend the Jamis bikes from Big Daddy's in Blue Mountain. They may cost a few bucks more than WalMart, but hold up great in this environment. They also carry the correct lubricants to properly maintain your bikes. You can't use WD-40 in the sand.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
One other tip that might help. You should always keep your chain and other vital components slick with WD40. If you really want to be aggresive you can get a tube of the old fashioned grease at the auto parts store and smear it on the chain which will keep the rust at bay. :razz:

Gypsea

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA; Watercolor
Paula, when we were at our house last week, we bought four bikes from Franks hardware store. They are new and sell for $99. The boys bikes are blue and the girls bikes are bright pink. They are basic and just what we needed for the beach and I know that our renters will appreciate them. The gentleman that was helping us with our bikes also made a lock for us that fits through all four bikes so that we can keep them locked while they are at the house. We now need a cover that will fit over all four bikes. Good luck.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
We saw beach cruisers at Sams Club this last weekend, for $50! I'm sure you get what you pay for and these were not aluminum. But they did look pretty cool.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I do not know if many people around there have yard sales but yard sales are good places to find good used bicycles for sale and usually are reasonably priced, at least here anyway! Walmart has some bicycles around 60.00 that I have seen here. You couldn't leave any bicycle sitting out anywhere around here, it would be gone! Hopefully people are more honest and trusting down there.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
More thanks for all this good advice! (and the offer to bike with me) I can't wait to check out bike sales in May. I'll check the internet in the meantime for good looking bike covers. Is there a Franks near SoWal?

I didn't even realize I had over 1,000 posts. I need a vacation!