• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Actually Danny you may have had more hair back then but you couldn't tell it because of the Trooper style hat you wore. Assuredly you were smaller than you are now. I don't have the images anymore but many of them were actually printed in the Defuniak paper. The one of the Church in DFS in particular.

The other Church was built using inmate labor from the ground up in Freeport. Those images also appeared in the Defuniak paper.

It is not a function of City Government to insure that Christmas lights from a private organization are hung on private properties around the lake yard. Closing off public roads and charging a fee for citizens to drive on those public roads is also NOT a function of City Government. All of it is done by a private organization using inmate labor for a private cause...promoting Christian beliefs!

The County Attorney determined it was ....would that be GR Miller by any chance? (If so, look at all the freaking trouble many of his legal opinions have caused.)

Since when did Haiku poems have to be historically correct? It's a poem for cripes sake. The hoopla over this BS is just the mention of the word Allah and Gordon Porter and his wife have their shorts in a knot over it. And you belong to that republican tea party convention of nut jobs.

I have never supervised inmates building or repairing churches in DFS or Freeport. I was never assigned to supervise inmate crews outside the jail period. Maybe you dreamed it happened? Or a fantasy perhaps? Maybe a case of mistaken identity of maybe another of the hundreds of officers who were employed by WCSO? Whatever.
The CA was NOT GR Miller, it was Burke in 2007. Bill Powers was the counsel for the FSA that reviewed it. I know there is a small group of individuals that have complained about Christmas Reflections for years and have never been able to gain much traction, mainly because the event is good for the businesses in DFS and brings positive publicity to the community. It is not sponsored by any church or religious group to my knowledge. It IS sponsored by the City of DeFuniak Springs. Since I do not live inside the city limits, I have no say in the matter either way.

I don't know if you are purposely misunderstanding or what but I have never said anything was wrong with writing poetry of any type. I have no way of knowing what anyone else's motivations are for their opposition or support for that matter. My crystal ball is on the fritz. I said that it is troubling to ME personally that a lesson in World History is not factually correct historically. It is a bad practice and should be corrected. That is MY opinion, not the opinion of any group or other individuals.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
No LOCAL, the class was World History. The poems were being used to reinforce the lesson. But, lessons should be accurate in every class. Apparently many think this is a minor point, but, IMHO, if you settle for mediocre and half-way, then you get the results you ask for. Excellence in education starts with accuracy in your lessons. What message are you sending students when you use materials that are less than totally accurate? How do you grade their efforts and count off for mistakes when what you are teaching them is mistake filled?
I have no problem with schools teaching about religions, including Islam, in World History. So much of the story is driven by religion and our reactions to them. All I want is for the materials we pay dearly for to be accurate.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Danny, I pointed this out in post #16, but will try again since you seem to have missed it and still consider this lesson incorrect.

“After studying ancient Persia and discussing contemporary ideas in world cultures, the example said, Allah is the one; Praise to him they all will cry; Islam is our life.”

Misty, thanks. I'm blessed to attend a Christian Church where we don't bash people over the head. And I can concur in being around a lot of those types of churches as a youth.

jdarg, that was just crazy. As the divide in this country widens, the folks on the far edge of either side get just a little more crazy.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
We had a "No Way This Happened" moment at our house today.

Neighbor comes to our door. A neighbor that has never been friendly. We actually looked at his house in 2006 and found it uninsurable at the time and needing too much work, so we passed. Anyway, I walk out, and Bdarg is talking to this guy who has come onto our property and told us we can no longer fly the Turkish flag at Thanksgiving. Get it- Turkey? :lol: We found it in Apalachicola years ago and have always flown it at Thanksgiving for fun. Bdarg is pretty calm as this nutbag says we are flying the flag of "Muhammad" and we can't do that anymore because he is a Vietnam vet and it is offensive. Bdarg reminds the dumbass that Turkey has been a NATO member since 1972. Dumbass says he is a Vietnam veteran and we better not fly the flag or else. Bdarg asks is that is a threat. We asked him to leave immediately, and call the WCSD. The great deputy, who is also our neighbor (thank God) issues a trespass warning to the fool neighbor.

So this is what we have come to in Walton County? We were talking about the school district deal tonight with friends. The jaws dropped at the ignorance of it all. It is embarrassing for our county.

I would be LMAO except he probably has multiple weapons.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Danny Glidewell wrote:
I don't know if you are purposely misunderstanding or what but I have never said anything was wrong with writing poetry of any type.

You Danny, are the one who seems to have a problem understanding this was not a lesson in history! It was a discussion about a cultural (Japanese) form of writing poetry called Haiku.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
We had a "No Way This Happened" moment at our house today.

Neighbor comes to our door. A neighbor that has never been friendly. We actually looked at his house in 2006 and found it uninsurable at the time and needing too much work, so we passed. Anyway, I walk out, and Bdarg is talking to this guy who has come onto our property and told us we can no longer fly the Turkish flag at Thanksgiving. Get it- Turkey? :lol: We found it in Apalachicola years ago and have always flown it at Thanksgiving for fun. Bdarg is pretty calm as this nutbag says we are flying the flag of "Muhammad" and we can't do that anymore because he is a Vietnam vet and it is offensive. Bdarg reminds the dumbass that Turkey has been a NATO member since 1972. Dumbass says he is a Vietnam veteran and we better not fly the flag or else. Bdarg asks is that is a threat. We asked him to leave immediately, and call the WCSD. The great deputy, who is also our neighbor (thank God) issues a trespass warning to the fool neighbor.

So this is what we have come to in Walton County? We were talking about the school district deal tonight with friends. The jaws dropped at the ignorance of it all. It is embarrassing for our county.

That is so incredibly screwed up. Apparently the only "turkish" thing he knows about is the tobacco in his Camels. He might be a veteran, but he isnt a historian..or maybe Christian for that matter...look up Constantinople dip****.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Jdarg, please don't post these kind of things. It gives us VietNam vets who feel we have a modicum of common sense and respectibility a bad name. I'm kidding, of course. That anyone, vet or not, would be so stupid is hilarious. It is a sign of our times, I guess. If I don't like it, you can't do it.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Did any of you read WZEP's website on this issue and what Attorney Ben Holley had to say about it?

Another fine example of the Tea Party convention?