• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
P.S. The plat shows the east and west as public accesses and unless someone can show a sale otherwise those remain public.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
P.S. The plat shows the east and west as public accesses and unless someone can show a sale otherwise those remain public.

The western public access is part of the Vizcaya parcel. The filing with the county indicates the Vizcaya HOA included an easement to permit use of the western end for public parking, and a walkway to the beach. Eerrr, that would mean the Vizcaya HOA concurred with public parking + public walkway giving access to their private beach? Strange.

I understand that Vizcaya has lost a good portion of the beach depth, and that much of the original plats have been reformed by storms, currents and erosion. That is not an issue regarding public access--it's mother nature doing what she has done for eons.

I've owned ocean and gulf front for about four decades, mostly in Long Island and Nag's Head--you don't purchase waterfront with the belief that mother nature reads your deeds and plats. Ultimately mother nature can and will modify any "land rights" that border on active waters. That is why the MHWL remains the ultimate factor. If you believe the early Vizcaya plats "hold water" (pun intended...) then logic should prevail that Vizcaya residents should be suing mother nature (and the US Corps of Engineers?) for encroachment, and for the return of their pristine sands. (We all should understand the futility of that!)

Enough, all. Truce. I believe in beaches for all. I believe "private beach" signage is an eyesore and that it detracts from our proud communities. I respect opiinions of those who feel otherwise. Pax.

Last edited: