• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Great idea !!! Maybe they'll all come over to SoWal... Andy A. and others would love to have you on our "public" beaches. Come one, come all. (SCAR)

PANAMA CITY BEACH-- Wild party images of spring break put Panama City Beach in a negative national spotlight this year.
And that's why now the Tourist Development Council has decided to not budget any money toward spring break advertising.
Some Bay County Commissioners say this is a great move by the TDC.
Images of spring break caused local officials to feel the pressure to change the beach's image.
"We need to protect our brand," Bay County Commissioner Mike Thomas said.
Panama City Beach officials say they get dozens of complaints from locals questioning if the Tourist Development Council is responsible for bringing in the party crowd.
At Tuesday's Bay County Commissioner meeting, local leaders set the record straight.
"In the coming spring break, the city, the county sheriffs have asked the TDC to focus its efforts on marketing Panama City Beach in a way that encourages kids to spring break responsibly," Bay Co. TDC Executive Director Dan Rowe said.
Rowe presented a marketing plan highlighting the beach over the last seven years.
The biggest change next year is no bed tax money is budgeted to market spring break.
"That is the decision of the board. The recommendation, the staff will bring to TDC members is that if we spend dollars in spring break, that it is to execute that message of come to Panama City Beach, and spring break responsibly," Rowe said.
"Different businesses and different destinations in Panama City Beach advertise for different sorts of businesses, and that's what creates the misconception," Thomas said.
Rowe says spending on spring break promotions has gone from $4,000 in 2005 to $1,000 last year.
In 2005, it was 12.6 percent of its entire budget, and last year it was 0.7 percent of the budget.
But last year, the TDC did spend money promoting spring break on Google Ad words.
And officials say this year, the money is going towards a different crowd.
"We got great visitors that come here to have fun, and have that quintessential beach destination, beach experience and that's not going to change," Rowe said. "I mean, that is the focus of the TDC. To continue to invite people to come to a fabulous destination and have a good time."
The TDC approved a $14 million spending plan for the Panama City Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The marketing budget for next year is about $6 million.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
You neglect one criteria I was very clear in stating, John G. "As long as they act responsibly and are courteous". You also ignore the fact that i said call the sheriff if they aren't. You appear to be so hung up on your "private beach" posting that it is affecting your reading ability. BTW, I do agree that we, also, should quit so much advertising. The area speaks for itself and enough SoWal knowledge is spread by word of mouth.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
What good does calling the Sheriff Do? They don't enforce rules on the beach (Noise for one) just go ask the people that call about the wedding houses.

They also let groups of wedding tourists go after attacking a local...

But I guess we agree on the advertising.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Just my opinion, until you come up with a better way to keep people employed in Walton County and the local businesses that rely on tourism you should be happy they are here. As for the TDC a lot of what occurs in Bay County is who they market to during spring. Although we have had our issues with rowdy tourist personally I don't think it was because we market to them. It is more likely there parents brought them here in the past and thought we can continue the tradition. Of course that is just my opinion.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
A lot of tourists don't know or care what county they're in, especially areas like Inlet Beach, Rosemary, and Seacrest that have Panama City Beach addresses and zip codes.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
How many drunk on the beach calls did you all respond to? Compare that in a graph from the past ten years and you have an increase.

Look for an increase this coming season (2015).

In response...

You make a great point!

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the opine.

We can always send the tourists that fail to toe the line elsewhere.