• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It seems pretty depressing to think that the ever increasing pursuit of ever increasing profit for the ever increasing rich is going to define the character of the hometown I have loved for over thirty years.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
It seems pretty depressing to think that the ever increasing pursuit of ever increasing profit for the ever increasing rich is going to define the character of the hometown I have loved for over thirty years.

Sort of defines the state of our country also.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
My point is Fairhope vs 30A is an apples and oranges comparison. Fairhope is an actual city with mayor, city council, police dept. etc.

Oh if only. I've lived in shock over the lack of real city services for over 18 years. We live in a beautiful, wonderful piece of earth.. And it deserves a real city charter with excellent services.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Re-read my post. Adding hotels adds people. Every single bed added to our area does.

Ok, I just did. You said traffic and crowded beaches will be the result. We have that now and chain hotels are not the cause of it.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
One nit to pick with that, at least as Watercolor is concerned. They have the beach frontage. My issue with the hotel is purely with crowding in the area at limited beach accesses.

Red Iris

Beach Crab
Feb 19, 2014
I guess the point I was trying to make earlier is that we don't always get to choose what we are surrounded by. I commend everyone for standing up and trying to make 30A a better place especially when it comes to conservation. Ultimately I believe money will decide the future of 30A. My point about Ponte Vedra was simply to state what I saw when I lived there...When the "money" started moving to the area, they slowly eliminated the parking to all of the public beach accesses near their homes. Over time each of these beach accesses were no longer used due to lack of parking. The county could ultimately justify closing all of them, because there was no need to pay to maintain boardwalks that were not in use anymore. I hope I am wrong, but I think the people and corporations like the pigs at the St. Joe Company will do whatever they please because they have the money to pay off whomever gets in their way.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Oh if only. I've lived in shock over the lack of real city services for over 18 years. We live in a beautiful, wonderful piece of earth.. And it deserves a real city charter with excellent services.

It might be a little late since 30A isn't a city with a designated planning commission able to regulate growth in a controlled manner. Fairhope's main feature being the water front is easily accessible to the public while along 30A the beach is mostly blocked or gated due to private ownership with the occasional public access. I hate to admit this, but seaducer does have a point about the drawbridge mentality of some property owners. They have their piece of paradise and are now trying to play Whac-A-Mole with other property owners because in their mind everything should remain as it was the day they arrived. Somewhere there is a compromise, I wish I had the answer.