• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JKBeach

Beach Comber
Nov 4, 2012
Seagrove, FL
I attended the Planning Commission meeting tonight. If I understand correctly, there will be a special Planning Commission meeting for the Hampton Inn proposal on January 14. The reason given was that they expect a lot of folks to attend and think it will be a long meeting.

In other news, The Regal across from the Tom Thumb was approved.

Also approved, if you own property in "Grayton Beach", you can get a permit to drive on the beach without going through the lottery.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Everything I have read puts the planning commission meeting on the 8th. You are probably more in the know than I.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I have friends and relatives that didn't rent in Seagrove Beach this summer because of crowding and traffic. How could one hotel make it any worse?

busdown3

Beach Crab
Dec 11, 2014
Hampton Inn Seagrove

I think it's time to halt all development. Our fragile environment is over maximum capacity. We're on a downhill slope and the only sensible thing to do is stop killing what makes the area special.

This development would be a very bad idea. A couple of months ago there was a meeting regarding the parking problem along 30A. Now they are considering adding a resort to the area. The largest problem that will be encountered in stopping this project are the politicians, they know which side the bread is buttered.

Douglas

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I can just imagine their website saying the hotel is "just steps from the beach" when they are really over half a mile away. The closest public access, at the bend of Eastern Lake Road is unusable because the outfall was allowed to migrate west, cutting it off. You'd have to wade through the outfall to get to the beach. The next closest access, Ramsgate, is on the southern part of Eastern Lake Road, which is a one-lane dead end with no place to turn around except in someone's carport. Neither access has any parking or restroom, and Ramsgate doesn't have a footwash.

How are these hundreds of people going to get to the beach? A shuttle? A shuttle can't turn around at Ramsgate, and there's no bench for them to sit while waiting for a shuttle. They are going to DRIVE, park illegally and get towed. This hotel will have to lie to prospective guests about their beach access.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
I think a lot of people are getting worked up over nothing. There's a hell of a lot of property tackier than a Hampton Inn on 30a and those who boast about being "too classy" for this and that sound elitist. Frankly, for me all those rich snobs from Atlanta that descend on the area in the Spring and summer are a little much. And some people like to come down on weekends and get a hotel room rather than rent a condo. Lighten up folks.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
This development would be a very bad idea. A couple of months ago there was a meeting regarding the parking problem along 30A. Now they are considering adding a resort to the area. The largest problem that will be encountered in stopping this project are the politicians, they know which side the bread is buttered.

Welcome to the forum - what resort have you heard about?

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
I think a lot of people are getting worked up over nothing. There's a hell of a lot of property tackier than a Hampton Inn on 30a and those who boast about being "too classy" for this and that sound elitist. Frankly, for me all those rich snobs from Atlanta that descend on the area in the Spring and summer are a little much. And some people like to come down on weekends and get a hotel room rather than rent a condo. Lighten up folks.

Ricky, I have absolutely no concern about the type of people. It is purely the volume of people in a tight area.

Read Douglas' post. It explains everything.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
Ricky, I have absolutely no concern about the type of people. It is purely the volume of people in a tight area.

Read Douglas' post. It explains everything.

I am thinking about starting a valet company off of Lakewood, so dont screw it up for me!;))

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
I've noticed some of the abandoned condo projects on 30a have restarted. Does that bother all you "stop all development" activists? Frankly, I think it looks a hell of a lot better than run down, bankrupt developments. I hope the Hilton Hotel people show up at the hearing to voice their side.