• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Someone mentioned in the facebook group about a county ordinance that had changed, allowing the number of rooms in a hotel to go from 75 to 125. Does anyone know which ordinance that might be, and, if it did change, when, why, and who changed it?

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
It's in these meeting minutes. Scroll down to page 3. I believe it was also reported in the Beach Breeze. As to why, well you would have to ask the county planning dept.
http://www.clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us/document_center/Minutes/Regular_Meetings/20140520.pdf

Thank you. So does anyone else find it suspicious that an ordinance restricting the number of rooms is changed in May of this year, and 7 months later there's a development submission for a 90 room motel? Seems like these two went hand in hand. Plans like this take a while to develop. What's going on with the commissioners and the planning department?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I'm sure local business owners will be delighted that this effort is going to fail. I'm sure they have all the business they want, especially the restaurants. If I were the Hilton folks, I'd say FU Walton County.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I'm sure local business owners will be delighted that this effort is going to fail. I'm sure they have all the business they want, especially the restaurants. If I were the Hilton folks, I'd say FU Walton County.

Hilton is a franchised business, they do not have as much to gain as the "local" owner. Again, it isnt the message--the hotel, it is the messenger--an ugly franchise brand. Kill the messenger. Do a retro 50's style bungalow motel, he would make a mint and wouldn't pay royalties and it would fit into the area.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Many business owners do not support this because SoWal is their home too. But, I'm sure there are many other business owners who do support this and just about any development, for their own reasons.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
How would all the "classy, upscale" Walton County residents feel if the Sandestin Hilton became one of the Wyndham brands. Isn't that what happened to the Marriott Bay Point Resort? Would there be petitions and an uproar? Some people are downright snooty.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
How would all the "classy, upscale" Walton County residents feel if the Sandestin Hilton became one of the Wyndham brands. Isn't that what happened to the Marriott Bay Point Resort? Would there be petitions and an uproar? Some people are downright snooty.

I really don't think there is anything "snooty" about wanting to protect the unique charm and quaintness of Scenic 30A. Keep large chains away is probably a good thing for the community located on a tiny two lane road. Of course, I've seen worse looking development on Scenic 30A than a Hampton Inn, but that's another issue (design standards). Nothing at all wrong about wanting to grow and maintain a beautiful and unique beach town. Walton County's height limit was an excellent move! If only we could count on leadership from our county to continue making excellent standards for future growth. I really don't see that happening.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
There are already many tacky places on 30a that don't exude quaint charm. A lot more tacky than a well kept Hampton Inn.

Name them.