• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I also wondered why anyone would stay at the Embassy Suites in Miramar Beach when that parcel is surrounded by short term rentals, and they seem to have done well from themselves over the years since construction. Same goes for the Sandestin Residence Inn, which is in direct competition with a whole bunch of 1-2 bedroom condo rentals within Sandestin proper.

But then step back and look at what most vacation rentals are- no one wants to go shorter than one week during the summer and plenty of people have reason to be down here that time of year but only really are going to be down here for 1-3 nights. So you're a business owner in eastern SoWal and a vendor or someone from your parent company wants to come down here on a quick business trip in July. Right now, you're probably going to have them stay in Panama City Beach so that person will not have to argue over the length of stay and will be able to pick up points from a preferred hotel loyalty program. Let them have a closer place to stay than PCB or Sandestin, and they'll pick the Hampton Seagrove as long as prices are in line.

Or say a nice professional couple looks up at Valentine's day weekend, notices that it's going to be 72F and decides to take an impulse trip to SoWal because they've got a big stash of Hhonors points just sitting there, so why not? And consequently pumps a bunch of money into local shops and restaurants as a result of their 'free' hotel room.

And some people just want to stay at a place with daily housekeeping service and are willing to trade that for a kitchen at the same price point.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Like your other two posts, WHAT's YOUR POINT? I'll favor "the rich people's opinion" over your advocacy for a chain hotel that simply does not belong on 30-A. YOU have something very special and unique with 30-A. Don't destroy that anymore than YOU already have.

My points are (1) this doesn't seem to be a well thought out decision on Hilton's part; and (2) I'd rather not have a chain hotel on 30A for all the reasons the other's who are against it said on this board already. I did not intend for anything I said to sound like advocacy for a chain hotel i, including this Hampton Inn, in my posts so thanks for pointing out that it may have looked that way!

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I also wondered why anyone would stay at the Embassy Suites in Miramar Beach when that parcel is surrounded by short term rentals, and they seem to have done well from themselves over the years since construction. Same goes for the Sandestin Residence Inn, which is in direct competition with a whole bunch of 1-2 bedroom condo rentals within Sandestin proper. But then step back and look at what most vacation rentals are- no one wants to go shorter than one week during the summer and plenty of people have reason to be down here that time of year but only really are going to be down here for 1-3 nights. So you're a business owner in eastern SoWal and a vendor or someone from your parent company wants to come down here on a quick business trip in July. Right now, you're probably going to have them stay in Panama City Beach so that person will not have to argue over the length of stay and will be able to pick up points from a preferred hotel loyalty program. Let them have a closer place to stay than PCB or Sandestin, and they'll pick the Hampton Seagrove as long as prices are in line. Or say a nice professional couple looks up at Valentine's day weekend, notices that it's going to be 72F and decides to take an impulse trip to SoWal because they've got a big stash of Hhonors points just sitting there, so why not? And consequently pumps a bunch of money into local shops and restaurants as a result of their 'free' hotel room. And some people just want to stay at a place with daily housekeeping service and are willing to trade that for a kitchen at the same price point.

All good points especially the one about the couple and a last minute trip or a lone businessman or just an individual looking to briefly get away. Many people have no use for a full kitchen and breakfast is ready when you wake up. I like to drink multiple cups of coffee first thing in the morning and the front desk will always provide extra coffee packages upon request. My wife and I take full advantage of Hilton honors points. I even have a Hilton Honors American Express.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Like your other two posts, WHAT's YOUR POINT? I'll favor "the rich people's opinion" over your advocacy for a chain hotel that simply does not belong on 30-A. YOU have something very special and unique with 30-A. Don't destroy that anymore than YOU already have.

By "YOU", how have I done any damage to 30a. I simply have an opinion that is different from you and others here. I don't live on 30a but I live and pay taxes in Walton County.

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
My points are (1) this doesn't seem to be a well thought out decision on Hilton's part; and (2) I'd rather not have a chain hotel on 30A for all the reasons the other's who are against it said on this board already. I did not intend for anything I said to sound like advocacy for a chain hotel i, including this Hampton Inn, in my posts so thanks for pointing out that it may have looked that way!

Wasn't referring to your posts.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Don't forget this - Hampton is a pretty nice chain, but it's quite common when a hotel gets 10-15 years old for it to get converted into one of the chains further down the food chain. I've seen this happen to a number of Hamptons. Don't know the specifics, but I'd expect they hold their franchisees to a certain standard and require regular remodels to stay with the current style guide, or else lose the franchise.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
By "YOU", how have I done any damage to 30a. I simply have an opinion that is different from you and others here. I don't live on 30a but I live and pay taxes in Walton County.

If you don't live on 30A, then, obviously you do not understand the feelings and concerns of those of us who do. And as far as taxes are concerned, I am sure those of us living on 30A pay our fair share and more.