• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
At $259/night, that's more than a LOT of 1-3 bedroom fully furnished places with pools right across the street from the beach for a 7 night stay in peak season. At $188, the cost is about the same for a 2-3 bedroom and significantly the hotel price is significantly more than for a one room site or one bedroom - again, fully furnished with pool.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Has anyone considered the possibility that for a one or two night stay, it's more convenient to stay at a hotel rather than a condo?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
What do I do when I want to go to a vacation destination and can't afford the lodging?

I pick an option in my budget- I go somewhere else. I don't expect every place I want to visit to have options in my price range. The argument that we "should" have affordable options for all is ridiculous.

I'm sure that when you go to New York, you probably book a suite at the Waldorf-Astoria or the Plaza.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
There is an Embassy in Miramar Beach that is across scenic 98 from the beach. There is a beach access with parking directly across from the hotel beside The Surf Hut. A bit more expensive, but does stay busy.

Last edited:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Again, I'll ask you how have I "destroyed" anything? Your use of the word 'YOU' in caps implies that since I don't oppose the proposed project I have caused damaged to your beloved community. You have accused me of something. What have I done to your community? All I've done is post on a message board controlled by a bunch of arrogant elitists.

Are you referring to guys like me who post here or the owners of this site?

BTW I agree there are some tacky / rundown places in the area. But that doesn't mean we want more. A Hampton Inn could be done well but adding more people and traffic is not desirable.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Are you referring to guys like me who post here or the owners of this site?

BTW I agree there are some tacky / rundown places in the area. But that doesn't mean we want more. A Hampton Inn could be done well but adding more people and traffic is not desirable.

I would be referring to the people who post here that have all the little green dots under their names. Since they are the most active users they seem to control the dialogue. Also, when someone accuses me of causing damage to something I would expect them to respond to my displeasure at the accusation, rather than have their friends wimp out on his or her behalf.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
In other words, if you don't like a question directed to you, either don't answer or get someone else to answer it for you.

As far as my being an outsider, I lived in Seagrove Beach for a while and my sister and her husband owned a condo there for more than 20 years, where I spent many happy, fun times but in recent years the traffic and crowds made it less attractive. More and more condos and houses will be built so there will continue to be development. It just seems that the attitude of local residents is that a hotel will spoil the perceived "upscale" environment. As a resident of Walton County and hopefully someone with first amendment rights, I was simply voicing an opinion as unwelcome as it might be in this community. I suspect that some of you wouldn't object to the building of a bar or night club in my neighborhood. I still love going to the beach and spending the weekend but you can rest assured that my family and I won't be spoiling your pristine community in the future. There is plenty to choose from between Gulf Shores, Alabama and Mexico Beach for the common people like me.
You will be missed.