• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
My suburblet was planned with a central commercial core, so I do indeed have one of those less than 200 yards (ie. two football fields away) from my house. Drainage and setback requirements were set strictly and followed by the developer and it's no big deal to have them there.

I live in a rural beach community with severe traffic problems and an very intense influx of transients. There is little to no planning as far as traffic and drainage and there is a rare coastal dune lake nearby that most likely will be impacted by storm water run-off. About halt the homes in my neighborhood are mobile homes.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Half the homes in my neighborhood are mobile homes.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Thank you so much for the thought Mr. Wells. You're sweet. Do you live on 30a?
No, but at the same time I think you are entitled to your opinion and I understand both sides. I am still debating on how I view this but I am leaning to property ownership. At the same time I have to look at the impact on the immediate area that it will affect.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Meggiemom : I understand why you really don't care what happens to my neighborhood. Does it bother you that I do care what happens in my neighborhood ?

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
This really is a confusing forum. A bunch of you are pouncing on Meggiemom because she doesn't see anything wrong with building a hotel in Seagrove. One of you has attacked her stating that she has "damaged" something and you flyingseagull imply that she is only good enough to stay at a budget hotel, yet one of you call the suggestion that somebody might stay at a fine New York hotel is a "personal attack". She has asked questions of several of you that you don't have the guts to answer and so on. I lived in Seagrove Beach on 30a for about 7 years so I know the area but I don't live there now so I don't give a rat's ass what they build but attacking people because they don't agree with you on one issue is rude. And this entry is rude but people are entitled to their opinion.

I believe your key words here are "don't give a rat's ass what they build" which is the issue with your and the others who really don't "give a rat's ass" about the unique and special quality of life that is 30-A that those of us who do care are trying to
preserve and protect.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Meggiemom : I understand why you really don't care what happens to my neighborhood. Does it bother you that I do care what happens in my neighborhood ?

I'll do my best to answer your question with the way it was worded. No, it doesn't bother me that you care what happens to your neighborhood. I understand that you care and I appreciate that. But it really doesn't matter what I think. I assume that the property in question is zoned for commercial use and the property owners and developers have to follow zoning laws and such. I suppose you and others in Seagrove want everyone to jump on the protest band wagon but that's up to the residents, the property owners and the county to iron out.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Wrong:<br><br>The residents of SoWal want to preserve it and treasure it.<br><br>Blue, Shipman, C. Jones, Chapman, Brannon, Comander, Adkinson and the small business group want to Control Everything in South Walton.

this is that unique time where the rich people from huntsville, nasvhille, N.O, Atlanta, Bham, agree with the good people of south walton. pitty the fool that come between those two forces - and aside from analyzing this as a battle, are you frigging kidding me that we can't keep a hampton inn out of South Walton. If that's the case, the total mistique is destroyed.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Wow, so this is beginning to go from preserving nature to NIMBY in a big damn hurry. If the Hampton Inn meets all code for building, setback and drainage, then they damn sure have a right to build. And further, when you go before the board sounding like a bunch of elitists who can't fathom something as disgusting as a Hampton Inn in the area, you are going to lose. And you'll darn sure deserve to lose.

However, if you go before the board and explain that you are concerned with the additional amounts of traffic localized to that area. Or, tell them that you are concerned about already crowded beach accesses becoming clogged. Then you may have a chance.

I live in Blue Mountian Beach. Rivard has all those mega mansions along Blue Mountain Beach Rd. I see many multiples of cars in front of each one every rental cycle. Heck there is a 4 bedroom place in the Village of Blue Mountain Beach that once had 9 cars parked at it for a week.

When my wife and I were planning our move, we would come down for 1-3 days at a time. We stayed at the Embassy Suites or the Courtyard Sandestin. Renting a condo for that short time would not have been effective for us OR a landlord. Had there been a Hampton Inn in Seagrove, we would certainly have stayed there.