• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If a project of this scale was proposed in your neighborhood, and the traffic would be dumped down the street you live on, will you be shouting "property rights"? You people are hypocrites.

Also, there is a concept of traffic concurrency, which I'm no genius at understanding, but it basically comes down to calculating the number of trips a project will generate, and whether the existing roads can handle the number of extra trips the proposed project will generate. This ordinance has not been enforced in any real manner for years.

When gridlock comes, and it takes an hour to go from Eastern Lake to Seaside, please shout property rights at the top of your lungs.

Douglas

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2012
Seagrove Beach
It would be fine if they wanted to build a Hampton Inn next door to me, but I have a big problem with the proposed location over a half mile from the beach. Nobody comes here for a "quick business trip." They will come for a quick beach trip, and 90 SUVs will try to park in my driveway. I live near the only working public beach access in the area, and there is no place for them to park. They should build it within walking distance to the beach.

On second thought, I will just buy a tow truck and charge $150 per to retrieve their vehicles. I'll put a note on each one: "Welcome to Florida from South Walton TDC & Hampton Inn.":clap:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I understand what you are saying Lake View, but other folks who are speaking from the NIMBY perspective are going to hurt more than help.

I understand what you are saying also. I think an emotional NIMBY presentation is hardly a proper line of defense, but surely the traffic concurrency issue, and compatibility issues are legal issues that have major merit on this case. (By the way, I am typing this response from a Hampton Inn in Monroe, Louisiana and it's a really nice place. The shuttle is suppose to pick us up go to the beach any time now. Hahahahahahahahaha. )

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Basing your opposition to this development on crowded beaches sounds like a losing position right out of the gate. What distant to the beach should the county use to justify the denial of a permit, a half mile, one mile, ten miles? You may as well also argue against it because it would increase traffic to local shops and restaurants. If this argument is successful then any future construction from a single home to a VMU could be blocked driving the value of vacant land to zero.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
My suburblet was planned with a central commercial core, so I do indeed have one of those less than 200 yards
(ie. two football fields away) from my house. Drainage and setback requirements were set strictly and followed by the developer and it's no big deal to have them there.

This is called proper community planning and when it is done you know what to expect. In the case in question this is obviously not so.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
For all of you calling our land use codes zoning, it just isn't so. Zoning code have very distinct and ridgid guildlines. Look at the land use code "mixed village use" which is what most of the land in question is coded. You can build just about anything you want anyway you want. The lack of proper zoning is one of the big problems, not only on 30A and SoWal but all of Walton County.

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
I understand what you are saying also. I think an emotional NIMBY presentation is hardly a proper line of defense, but surely the traffic concurrency issue, and compatibility issues are legal issues that have major merit on this case. (By the way, I am typing this response from a Hampton Inn in Monroe, Louisiana and it's a really nice place. The shuttle is suppose to pick us up go to the beach any time now. Hahahahahahahahaha. )

Just to get in my .02$, from years of life experience I know that one man's NIMBY, is another man's IMBY.