• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Douglas

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Basing your opposition to this development on crowded beaches sounds like a losing position right out of the gate.
I'm not.
What distant to the beach should the county use to justify the denial of a permit, a half mile, one mile, ten miles?
For a hotel that markets to beachgoers, one block or they must provide some reasonable means for guests to get to the beach, such as a shuttle or parking close to the beach. Or they can try to convince us they will not market to beachgoers.
You may as well also argue against it because it would increase traffic to local shops and restaurants.
Local shops and restaurants are required to have adequate parking.
If this argument is successful then any future construction from a single home to a VMU could be blocked driving the value of vacant land to zero.
People who buy a home have the opportunity to look at it first and decide whether its beach access is satisfactory. Land values drop dramatically the farther you get from the beach. The developers could have bought the old Seagrove Villas Motel for $12 million. That was an appropriate place for it. Instead they bought a cheap lot and want the problem their guests cause trying to park at the beach to be somebody else's problem.

Last edited:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Just curious, but what would be the grounds for denial if the property is for mixed use? Most of the arguments I've heard focus on increased traffic and "A Hampton Inn isn't classy enough four our community".

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Although I think traffic is an issue, I think stormwater runoff and retention may also be an issue. There was an issue of Dollar Store in Inlet that may have been at odds because of compatibility, I don't remember what happen there. I do think beach access issues may be a legitimate issue because of parking but I am surprised there hasn't been a hotel fight before this.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
Dollar General bought property and is building a mile or so east of Inlet Beach - in Bay County. I was surprised they didn't put up more of a fight since legally, there was no reason to stop them. It will be interesting to see how the Hampton Inn plays out...

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I always thought the little motel that they tore down was kind of cute. I always thought I'd like to stay there for the weekend but when it was there my sister had a condo I could use.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
By "YOU", how have I done any damage to 30a. I simply have an opinion that is different from you and others here. I don't live on 30a but I live and pay taxes in Walton County.

I will take you at your word that you did nothing to damage 30-A. But I can tell you that the people who are like mind of yours HAVE damaged PCB, Miramar, Destin, FWB, Pensacola Beach, Gulf Shores, Clearwater and points south on the Gulf and then God knows how many Atlantic beach towns. Run them into the ground charm and relaxation wise, at any rate. We are different, and we are better. Some people like staying in cheap motels built on flattened dunes and living off of sandwiches and Chek drink they have stashed in their room minifridge. That experience can be had at any of the areas listed above. But it can't be had HERE, and there is something to be said for that.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
I will take you at your word that you did nothing to damage 30-A. But I can tell you that the people who are like mind of yours HAVE damaged PCB, Miramar, Destin, FWB, Pensacola Beach, Gulf Shores, Clearwater and points south on the Gulf and then God knows how many Atlantic beach towns. Run them into the ground charm and relaxation wise, at any rate. We are different, and we are better. Some people like staying in cheap motels built on flattened dunes and living off of sandwiches and Chek drink they have stashed in their room minifridge. That experience can be had at any of the areas listed above. But it can't be had HERE, and there is something to be said for that.

It's good to know that you are better than other people. If that's the case you and others of like mind should have no problem putting a stop to all development along 30a.

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008

I too am sickened with peoples eating habits. It is the death of society.