• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chip hagler

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Well I'm sold on Marigny's Happy Hour Oysters. Had a few dozen yesterday and they were exactly as described and a great bang for your buck. I still like the old style oyster bar where they are shucked in front of you but the Marigny's oysters are at the top of my list for size, taste and freshness. I'll be back :D

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Well I'm sold on Marigny's Happy Hour Oysters. Had a few dozen yesterday and they were exactly as described and a great bang for your buck. I still like the old style oyster bar where they are shucked in front of you but the Marigny's oysters are at the top of my list for size, taste and freshness. I'll be back :D
sounds good. Went by several months ago service was so bad and they made me PAY for bread with my shrimp creole order. Seriously. Will go back and try the oyster at happy hour #fingerscrossed

chip hagler

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
You are right about the service. Tried not to put that in my comment but will follow through. Have only been there 3 times and the servers need some extra extra training. I would go more often if not for that.

The Marigny

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2013
sounds good. Went by several months ago service was so bad and they made me PAY for bread with my shrimp creole order. Seriously. Will go back and try the oyster at happy hour #fingerscrossed

just wondering if you are going to acknowledge either of the posts/emails we have sent you over the last year? I can publish them... before you sit in judgement of a place, you might try to be an accurate judge... I won't stand for this... I offered, ball is in your judgmental court. Let's speak facts...

The Marigny

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2013
That is why you will get the Hampton Inn, or chain restaurants... because ppl like Steel1man are A. without knowledge of owning a restaurant B. have NO actual culinary or legitimate roots in our fine state. C. want to give an uneducated opinion as a "local" when Ive actually lived here longer.... that is why businesses don't take roots here! Anytime steel1man wants to challenge us, we will gladly put him in his place..... Challenge offered!!! Until then, keep your opinion to yourself! I accept any challenge to this post, since we emailed you a YEAR ago, about your complaint! But you don't speak of that, do you!?!?!!?

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
That is why you will get the Hampton Inn, or chain restaurants... because ppl like Steel1man are A. without knowledge of owning a restaurant B. have NO actual culinary or legitimate roots in our fine state. C. want to give an uneducated opinion as a "local" when Ive actually lived here longer.... that is why businesses don't take roots here! Anytime steel1man wants to challenge us, we will gladly put him in his place..... Challenge offered!!! Until then, keep your opinion to yourself! I accept any challenge to this post, since we emailed you a YEAR ago, about your complaint! But you don't speak of that, do you!?!?!!?

WOW, this is why I haven't written much on SOWAL Dining Forum lately. If I have written anything I have kept it very generic. I have pondered and pondered on what my response would be to this and feel as though I must be honest.

We liked Chris very much when he was at Fire and tried to support his move to The Marigny. We consider ourselves locals as we have been here over 20 years and have been property owners for more than that. We too have been to The Marigny three times over the past year. On each occasion we left with our heads in amazement. This is not the food that we are use to having from Chris. Each visit the service was lacking and we said it will get better with time. Each time we visited there were very few people eating.....we must be dinning at off times, this must be a dinner place. And each time the food was disappointing. Yes, disappointing. I can describe each meal and they have spanned over 12 months, so they did make an impression. Now, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I beg to differ on your comment "that is why businesses don't take roots here!" look at Bud and Alley's, Cafe Thirty A, Goatfeathers, Seagrove Village Market, to name a few. There are many more that have been here 10 years or longer and I believe they have all taken “roots”. These have survived the good and the bad times, as most of the locals have. Yes, there are other restaurants that come and go, some stay a bit longer, some try to expand beyond their capability and say goodbye, and then there are others that just fade away after 10 to 20 years in business....that is the restaurant business. It is a tough one. And down here in SOWAL restaurants must be at their tops providing A plus service, food, and attitude or they don't survive. As locals we even support those restaurants that have average food when the service is outstanding and they make you feel warm and fuzzy. It's just human nature.

Sad part is that after three visits I don’t even want to try The Marigny’s happy hour $6 oysters. I would rather drive 30 miles, pay a little more, have them shucked in front of me, and most of all feel warm and welcomed…..and eat 3 rolls of saltines if I want!

The Marigny

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2013
Iris, it's unfortunate that we haven't been able to satisfy you. We can't please everyone. At least we know that we please most, ie "Best of the Emerald Coast 2014", 30A.com "HotSpot", etc etc. If you came to The Marigny looking for food like FIRE, then you will be disappointed. Because we are NOT a casual fine dining restaurant. We are neighborhood PoBoy shop with from scratch home cooking and don't pretend to be anything more. We don't have that menu or that pricing. And my addressing steel1man is to note that we have reached out and try to make his ONLY visit better. Honestly, it was over free bread!? And a year ago when we first opened... And was an obvious mistake by a new staff! Really? But some people would rather just say negative things rather than help a fledgling local business get better. I think that is a shame. Which is why you will see more chains and such move in because they don't care as much about guests' experiences. And also... 3 times? 3 bad experiences? You love Chris' food? And not once have you mentioned anything to him? Or his partner? They are pretty easy to get, since they are there day and night... This is part of our point. It is for this reason that we stand by our post.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
Iris, it's unfortunate that we haven't been able to satisfy you. We can't please everyone. At least we know that we please most, ie "Best of the Emerald Coast 2014", 30A.com "HotSpot", etc etc. If you came to The Marigny looking for food like FIRE, then you will be disappointed. Because we are NOT a casual fine dining restaurant. We are neighborhood PoBoy shop with from scratch home cooking and don't pretend to be anything more. We don't have that menu or that pricing. And my addressing steel1man is to note that we have reached out and try to make his ONLY visit better. Honestly, it was over free bread!? And a year ago when we first opened... And was an obvious mistake by a new staff! Really? But some people would rather just say negative things rather than help a fledgling local business get better. I think that is a shame. Which is why you will see more chains and such move in because they don't care as much about guests' experiences. And also... 3 times? 3 bad experiences? You love Chris' food? And not once have you mentioned anything to him? Or his partner? They are pretty easy to get, since they are there day and night... This is part of our point. It is for this reason that we stand by our post.

Restaurants here can get it right, in fact most do. The service can be spotty in some places, but there is a finite talent pool. In fact there are several places that people love because the service is better than the food. We are fortunate to have a lot of very good options in a small area. There are a few chains in Miramar because of the outlet mall and a few more in Grand Blvd. I dont think Chilappleback's will be opening on 30a anytime soon. I disagree with the comments that chains do not care about guest experience, in fact I would say more often than not, chains emphasize customer service more. I have been to The Marigny for a few beers and a Saints game, so I cant speak to the quality of table service. I like cajun and creole and will check it out though.

The Marigny

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks Carson. We look forward to it! And I understand your point, I was referring to some of the chains that just want turnstile type dining, in and out, in and out... Not neighborhood places like us, that actually remember your name, what you drink, those kind of things. There are plenty of great local restaurants here. We are friends with most of them and frequent their businesses. Thank you so much for bringing to light our biggest opportunity in this area... The labor pool! Not very deep, or qualified. It makes things extremely difficult at times, but we do what we can. We've been told that service can be a little slow at times, but most people agree the food is worth it. We appreciate the support, and will continue to grow and get better! Make sure you let us know when you come in. We would definitely like to introduce ourselves to you!