• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Open reply to the Marigny: Please remember that this is a board with many different opinions. There are a few here who evidently relish in making attacks of a personal nature. I, as I said previously, have been to your restaurant many times. The ambiance and setting is something to be enjoyed and I have done so. Ignore those who want to pick a fight and accept those who are quite satisfied with your establishment. I am one who has always been pleased. I, and many others, wish you success with your NOLA, cajun effort. So far, for some of us at least, it is working and will continue to do so.

laidback1

Beach Comber
Jul 26, 2014
Seems like all over these forums a few of the same posters generally have something negative to say about everything. Ignore them....

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
That is why you will get the Hampton Inn, or chain restaurants... because ppl like Steel1man are A. without knowledge of owning a restaurant B. have NO actual culinary or legitimate roots in our fine state. C. want to give an uneducated opinion as a "local" when Ive actually lived here longer.... that is why businesses don't take roots here! Anytime steel1man wants to challenge us, we will gladly put him in his place..... Challenge offered!!! Until then, keep your opinion to yourself! I accept any challenge to this post, since we emailed you a YEAR ago, about your complaint! But you don't speak of that, do you!?!?!!?

The above post is what prompted this thread to change course. There is nothing wrong with defending yourself, but this response is abrasive, self centered, disrespectful and not what one would expect from a business. It was so shocking that the next person started her post with the word "wow".

Iris seemed reluctant to post but felt compelled to respond. She very kindly expressed her admiration for the chef and explained her experiences at your restaurant. She also did a nice job of refuting your inference that it is the community's fault that businesses don't take root here. After three visits with what she considered zero improvement in the quality of service and respectfully letting you know that yes, service is important, she rightfully decided to take her business elsewhere.

In your response to Iris we get this in addition to a continuing rant against steelman.

Which is why you will see more chains and such move in because they don't care as much about guests' experiences. And also... 3 times? 3 bad experiences? You love Chris' food? And not once have you mentioned anything to him? Or his partner? They are pretty easy to get, since they are there day and night... This is part of our point. It is for this reason that we stand by our post.

Let's forget about steelman for the moment. You now have three visits by Iris who experienced poor service each time and three visits by Navy Chief who says kind things about the food, but also lets you know the service needs improvement.

Carson, who I believe has experience in this field, now responds and does an excellent job refuting your claim that chain restaurants don't care about customer service. Common sense tells us they do because most chains are franchises owned by people who make their living pleasing their guests.

This is from your response to Carson where you bring up the labor pool and admit you have had complaints about your service.

Thank you so much for bringing to light our biggest opportunity in this area... The labor pool! Not very deep, or qualified. It makes things extremely difficult at times, but we do what we can. We've been told that service can be a little slow at times, but most people agree the food is worth it.

Do you see a pattern here? You have been open a year, you have been informed your service isn't up to expectations and you still haven't corrected the problem. You just make excuses. Even Dawn, who seems to praise you is letting you know in a subtle way that if you do have a problem it is best to address it.

If I were in that spot I'd be going all out to get new customers. Really no room for error I'd guess.

There isn't a single person in this area who doesn't wish you or any business great success. It benefits us all and makes the total experience of this area that much more exciting. Maintaining a good reputation in the community is to your advantage, but you have to earn it. I sampled your food at an open house in Burnt Pine and again at the Taylor Haugen event in Alys Beach and thought it was excellent. I truly hope you do well because I would hate to see your bar lined with nothing but know-it-all grumpy old men in red t-shirts. I am going to come have some beer and food after the holidays because I do love me some NOLA cuisine which is what you are all about. Merry Christmas and here's wishing you a very successful and profitable New Year.:wave:

Last edited:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I've been there many times and had awesome food and normal service. I don't need waiters kissing my ass. Anyone complaining about service are just spoiled brats. There. I said it. To now pile on just to pick apart internet responses is bad manners.

All I know is I now needs me some Poutine and Fried Chicken - are they open today? :wave:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Is anyone surprised why people are reluctant to give their honest reviews of local restaurants on this site?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I want to thank you for supporting the Taylor Haugen Foundation. The work they do outfitting teams to protect young athletes is a worthwhile cause.

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
This thread started about oysters, so I wanted to comment on that. I went to the Marigny twice this past weekend. Had oysters both times as well as other dishes. All were outstanding. Their oysters are the best i've had in the area and very reasonably priced (a full 5 bucks less than a place I won't name that's a 5 minute walk from my house). And their oyster happy hour is ridiculous with $6 dozens. Mike took care of my family and I both times we visited and he was great. I would recommend this place to anyone without any hesitation. Can't wait to go back..