• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Could be it's time to revisit the 'City of Santa Rosa Beach' (or whatever you want to call it) concept. I know that Crestview has a reputation for writing their zoning and land use code and then enforcing it so they can be very picky about businesses allowed within the city limits proper.

Of course Defuniak would fight it tooth and nail because of the possibility/probability of the city of Santa Rosa Beach recapturing more tax dollars generated south of the bay, but it's a fight that is generally winnable in the end and would allow SoWal control of its own destiny in a less piecemeal way.
I guess I am confused. How does creating a city allow you to recoup tax dollars? Would it not need to levy a tax to operate? By creating a new city would add another layer of government and then to handle some of the issues such as zoning and the like would require the hiring of personnel. It would also need a legislative body that if county politics is any indication many would be upset about. I take a look at Destin and see some of the issues they have
encountered from law enforcement to zoning and tthe citizens also still pay a county and city tax. Please help me understand what you are saying.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Could be it's time to revisit the 'City of Santa Rosa Beach' (or whatever you want to call it) concept. I know that Crestview has a reputation for writing their zoning and land use code and then enforcing it so they can be very picky about businesses allowed within the city limits proper. Of course Defuniak would fight it tooth and nail because of the possibility/probability of the city of Santa Rosa Beach recapturing more tax dollars generated south of the bay, but it's a fight that is generally winnable in the end and would allow SoWal control of its own destiny in a less piecemeal way.
if we elect the right leaders,this could solve some problems....every city that has started their on school systems generally have better schools, grades and better qualified teachers. Because they can operate as they like and not be run by someone 30 miles away voting what they think is right . What would the city of SRB city limits be?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
After looking at the development plan I would label him a douche who cares not for the area, residents or visitors, who pulled off a great PR coup by 'giving' land to environmental causes. But I guess sliminess is in the eye of the beholder.

I take it that Mr. Davis is the owner or part owner of the property? Is this the same Mr. Davis that the state "bought" a million dollar plus piece of property to "protect" Eglin AFB from development and he still owns the property? And the same guy who recently sold the school district property to build a future school? And isn't he the same guy who has contributed thousands to all of Walton County's elected officials?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I take it that Mr. Davis is the owner or part owner of the property? Is this the same Mr. Davis that the state "bought" a million dollar plus piece of property to "protect" Eglin AFB from development and he still owns the property? And the same guy who recently sold the school district property to build a future school? And isn't he the same guy who has contributed thousands to all of Walton County's elected officials?
QUOTE] I thought I saw Scott Pelley and Morley
Safer at Bowery last night. Guess 60 Minutes is in down looking into this issue...