• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
My opinion on the chain hotels is based on the same feeling....30A has a special charm....it is a special kind of beachy town. It is 180 degrees different than PC with its crowded chain hotels and restaurants . I am on the side of those who are against a chain hotel being built on 30A. But that is a topic for another board.

Ask our Sheriff to ENFORCE our laws...

He wont.

LSVs need to follow rules!

Get to it Mike!

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
For that matter, I've been behind a line of traffic on 30a because one of those "serious bikers" was getting ready for the Tour de France. I guess he was too classy to ride on the bike paths. And I saw an older lady riding one of those adult trikes run into a car this summer because she didn't seem to be in control. Let's face it, in the high season, the traffic on 30a is a mess.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I don't own a golf cart or LSV either but they're a fact of life in a lot of communities and they're "green". But since everybody is opposed to them as well as chain hotels why not add all the things folks don't like to the petition? And no I don't live on 30a but I have a feeling that some others who have opinions about what should be in or around 30a don't live on 30a either.

Not sure what golf carts have to do with chains. Except that they are both bad ideas for SoWal.

Golf carts aren't green when you consider the amount of materials it takes to make one, the amount of energy it takes to make one. And the eventual waste of those materials in a landfill.

If it was the only vehicle you owned then you can call it green. Otherwise you are adding to your carbon footprint. Not to mention increasing your douche factor. The only advantage I can see to having one is that kids can get away with driving it and you can park it in small places like sidewalks and between no parking signs.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Before I begin, I should point out that I don't own a LSV or a golf cart. At the risk of getting criticized for giving my point of view, I'm going to chime in with my humble opinion. The charm of 30A is that it is a laid back, classy, relaxing place that we are lucky enough to be a part of, some part time some full time. The golf carts are a part if that laid back atmosphere. When I am in a hurry to get somewhere, I take shortcuts and/or travel up to 98 at the first available opportunity. When I am on 30A, I enjoy taking in the scenery and charm of our beach paradise. It doesn't bother me to drive behind a golf cart or "LSV". I just thank God that I have been blessed to be able to be a part of this paradise.

Retired resident or visitor? I see where you are coming from but laid back golf carts need to remain on laid back golf courses. Or closed communities like Sandestin. Otherwise they just add to clutter and stress. People in cars on highways need to get places at the proper speed limit of 35, 40, 45, etc. I've never been behind a golf cart going faster than 15. And often on the roads to and from 98.

I also see nothing classy about a golf cart. The more you try to class them up the dumber they look in my opinion.

View attachment 39364

Last edited by a moderator:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Not sure what golf carts have to do with chains. Except that they are both bad ideas for SoWal.

Golf carts aren't green when you consider the amount of materials it takes to make one, the amount of energy it takes to make one. And the eventual waste of those materials in a landfill.

If it was the only vehicle you owned then you can call it green. Otherwise you are adding to your carbon footprint. Not to mention increasing your douche factor. The only advantage I can see to having one is that kids can get away with driving it and you can park it in small places like sidewalks and between no parking signs.

My bad! All those Range Rovers, Escalades and Suburbans are much more efficient than a small electric vehicles to run around in. And they're classy! Do forgive my ignorance.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
My bad! All those Range Rovers, Escalades and Suburbans are much more efficient than a small electric vehicles to run around in. And they're classy! Do forgive my ignorance.

Waayyy classier. Plus golf carts could get bugs in ones quaff and splashing road juice on your Vineyards Vines in classless.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
2. Opponents say they're dangerous, yet insurance companies continue to beg to differ. Opponents argue insurance companies must have screwed up the math, and also that evolution shouldn't be taught.

Insurance companies set rates based on relative values and their risk of loss. Given that an LSV costs maybe 1/10th of the average car (maybe 1/20th of the average SoWal SUV), it's obvious why insurance rates would be lower for an LSV. It's got nothing to do with safety. Ford Pintos were relatively cheap to insure for the same reason. They were cheap cars. The fact that their gas tanks tended to explode in rear-end collisons didn't increase their insurance cost.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Insurance companies set rates based on relative values and their risk of loss. Given that an LSV costs maybe 1/10th of the average car (maybe 1/20th of the average SoWal SUV), it's obvious why insurance rates would be lower for an LSV. It's got nothing to do with safety. Ford Pintos were relatively cheap to insure for the same reason. They were cheap cars. The fact that their gas tanks tended to explode in rear-end collisons didn't increase their insurance cost.

ummm... like you're correct about why Collision insurance would be cheaper. Collision as you probably know is not required, and is a luxury add/rider on to the Liability Insurance you are required to carry. Since it appears you're willing to look into this analytically through math, much like insurance companies, you'll be happy to know that the reason liability is much cheaper on LSV's than on 2000 lb regular vehicles, also has to do with mathematics, and probabilities, and physics equations related to mass, speed, etc., and statistical analysis of injury claims paid for different vehicle types, weights, speed averages, to do date.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
Just next door to Seaside at WaterColor they limit LSV rentals to 30 carts and only through one specific company. Lots of paperwork and documentation of rules, yada yada. However you continue to see under age drivers running stop signs, parking across foot paths and yes even attempts to cross Western Lake Pedestrian Bridge with a LSV. Joy riding is a favorite pass time for these vacationing youngsters and their parents happily oblige. Violations are still documented at Seaside and WaterColor with phone cameras ( remember everyone has one now ) of rental decal or tag number of said vehicle and turned into Security for enforcement /ticketing. Just more work for overworked Security Patrols. SO HEY ROSEMARY BEACH, YES you are to be commended for keeping LSV's out.