• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

OG Florida Native

Beach Crab
Dec 13, 2014
Not your right to dictate what a business does with their property. They can charge whatever rates they want. It would be Un-American otherwise. Maybe Hampton Inn should turn it into a rehab for inner city youth. That would be cool.

Again, I say that these non local locals are what tarnish this area the most ..

When I was a kid, there were sand dunes to play on and turtle nests everywhere. The water was clean and there was absolutely no traffic. You would probably call us rednecks back in the seventies if you came to visit. But really, the only people that came to visit then were fisherman and the occasional family, going to the beach for the summer.

I have reconciled, that time has past and its time for bigger, real money to come to the area. Its the only way forward. As much as people like independently owned businesses, they don't put their money where their mouths are. Literally. Who lives in the 30a area and doesn't shop at publix?

Plus all these rental homes are owned by out of towners, so the money doesn't stay here. At least the Hampton Inn will provide stable jobs for about 100 or so employees. I still think its the snob in people that just can't fathom a lower income family to enjoy the beautiful beaches here.

Southern Cafe

Beach Comber
Feb 8, 2011
And I know that by stating this I will get blown up but what the hell Ive had a second cup of coffee.....
Lets be honest, most people do not want a chain hotel built on 30-A simply because it will allow the "wrong" people
in the area. This was the same thought process that went into the disapproval of the Subway being built in Sea Grove next to what is now the old Brunos. Get over yourselves people, 30-A is no longer the land for the rich and famous. (Luckily so, or most people on here wouldnt have a leg to stand on.) Someone stated that at least the large developments were ok because they were properly planned, what they meant to say is that they were ok because they were expensive pieces of land that only a few people could afford (and most of those people can only afford them by renting them out most of the year) Lets call a spade a spade.... and Like I said in the beginning, "most people" not everyone. I do believe that a few people have good intentions but most have that "not in my over privileged backyard " mentality. Now let the slamming begin.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
And I know that by stating this I will get blown up but what the hell Ive had a second cup of coffee.....
Lets be honest, most people do not want a chain hotel built on 30-A simply because it will allow the "wrong" people
in the area. This was the same thought process that went into the disapproval of the Subway being built in Sea Grove next to what is now the old Brunos. Get over yourselves people, 30-A is no longer the land for the rich and famous. (Luckily so, or most people on here wouldnt have a leg to stand on.) Someone stated that at least the large developments were ok because they were properly planned, what they meant to say is that they were ok because they were expensive pieces of land that only a few people could afford (and most of those people can only afford them by renting them out most of the year) Lets call a spade a spade.... and Like I said in the beginning, "most people" not everyone. I do believe that a few people have good intentions but most have that "not in my over privileged backyard " mentality. Now let the slamming begin.

No slamming here but I will point out that the nightly price at a Seagrove Hampton Inn will not be cheap. I think it's more the "idea" of a box hotel that people are afraid of and are worried about an onslaught of such that will make the area look and feel like any other.

Of course overcrowding is an issue but that reality grows every day, Hampton or no Hampton.

I don't believe this is a snob or a class issue and anyone trying to make it one doesn't understand the true community we have built in SoWal. It's about protecting natural resources, keeping a good quality of life, and trying to direct growth any little bit of a way possible.

Don't be afraid to stand up for what you think is right.

OG Florida Native

Beach Crab
Dec 13, 2014
Low end estimate is that the Inn would bring in about $10m per year(probably closer to $15m) That's at about $225/ night. Again and provide health benefits and decent jobs for people. And allow middle class people the opportunity to enjoy the beaches here.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Low end estimate is that the Inn would bring in about $10m per year(probably closer to $15m) That's at about $225/ night. Again and provide health benefits and decent jobs for people. And allow middle class people the opportunity to enjoy the beaches here.

Where are you getting your figures?

BTW there are places to stay in South Walton for around $100 per night. I don't think a big box hotel will change the demographic of visitors.

notorious63

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2006
Not your right to dictate what a business does with their property. They can charge whatever rates they want. It would be Un-American otherwise. Maybe Hampton Inn should turn it into a rehab for inner city youth. That would be cool.

Again, I say that these non local locals are what tarnish this area the most ..

When I was a kid, there were sand dunes to play on and turtle nests everywhere. The water was clean and there was absolutely no traffic. You would probably call us rednecks back in the seventies if you came to visit. But really, the only people that came to visit then were fisherman and the occasional family, going to the beach for the summer.

I have reconciled, that time has past and its time for bigger, real money to come to the area. Its the only way forward. As much as people like independently owned businesses, they don't put their money where their mouths are. Literally. Who lives in the 30a area and doesn't shop at publix?

Plus all these rental homes are owned by out of towners, so the money doesn't stay here. At least the Hampton Inn will provide stable jobs for about 100 or so employees. I still think its the snob in people that just can't fathom a lower income family to enjoy the beautiful beaches here.

Does anyone still call you rednecks? :wave::rotfl:

OG Florida Native

Beach Crab
Dec 13, 2014
All those developments that you listed were what killed off the nature and beauty of 30a.

And to your last point, yes it would have been great. Then people would hike trails to the beach or ride bikes. That would be the perfect scenario.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove

My only question is...is the issue that is Hampton, that it is a 90 room hotel, or both? It is good for the economy in many ways, but detrimental to the "feel" of the community. If that is Elitist, I am okay with that. The same hotel on 98 would still provide the same jobs, provide the same access to the beaches, still provide increased traffic to our local businesses but not be an eye sore and make it look like any other beachtown FL. Long Island has always gone through the same issues on the East end of Suffolk County with the North Fork and the Hamptons on the South Fork with Riverhead being our Dfunk. All of the franchises are in Riverhead and the central part of the county with the Forks being kept "local". It has been working fairly well for them for 60 years or so. Yes they are cities, but in NY county trumps city and franchise development has been extremely limited to enterprise zones which are not on the Forks for the most part.

The hotel should employ 30 people and do roughly 9 million a year, 90% occupancy, $275 night. FYI---condos are a helluva lot cheaper based on weekly pricing.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I no longer live in Seagrove Beach but I signed the petition because a friend who lives at Rosemary Beach asked me to. I can assure all of you who think that stopping this will turn back the clock that it won't. It will always be growing and getting more crowded. My husband's family has owned a home in the area for 40 years and we owned a home in Seagrove for 20 years. The quiet charm is gone forever.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Not your right to dictate what a business does with their property. They can charge whatever rates they want. It would be Un-American otherwise. Maybe Hampton Inn should turn it into a rehab for inner city youth. That would be cool. Again, I say that these non local locals are what tarnish this area the most .. When I was a kid, there were sand dunes to play on and turtle nests everywhere. The water was clean and there was absolutely no traffic. You would probably call us rednecks back in the seventies if you came to visit. But really, the only people that came to visit then were fisherman and the occasional family, going to the beach for the summer. I have reconciled, that time has past and its time for bigger, real money to come to the area. Its the only way forward. As much as people like independently owned businesses, they don't put their money where their mouths are. Literally. Who lives in the 30a area and doesn't shop at publix? Plus all these rental homes are owned by out of towners, so the money doesn't stay here. At least the Hampton Inn will provide stable jobs for about 100 or so employees. I still think its the snob in people that just can't fathom a lower income family to enjoy the beautiful beaches here.

Patrick - the people do have a right in some capacity to dictate what a business can do with property they own. That's why there are zoning and review boards. You profess to care about the area yet you seem to support degrading the area by supporting the Hampton Inn ( a Hilton branded hotel) or your "rehab center," which i realize you said in jest. Your professed stance seems to be counter to your argument about how the area has been degraded since the 70's. Are you equally upset about your home being valued 8-10+ times what its value would be if it were in most of the surrounding areas?

Your claim the area is "tarnished" by "out of town owners" is also completely off base. I'm one of those apparent derelicts who owns a place and rents it while I reside out of town. I can guarantee we support the local community way more in a relative basis when you compare the Hampton inn verses our ability to sleep 6-8. Our mortgage, title company, inspectors, management company, plumber, electrician, painters, construction crews, heating and air, and every stick of furniture and more has been all sourced locally. In fact, our local cleaning crew makes about $35/hr (two people for 2 hours) - I don't see the Hampton paying their maids that kind of money... They'll pay mimimim wage-type money and workers will come in from out of the immediate area ( as will the GM who would likely come in from another Hampton Inn/Hilton hotel). Much of the real $ generated will be sent back to Hilton and to the owners.

What little actual take home money we have seen has all been reinvested in in the area in the form of upgrades or spent during our trips to the area.

How do you make your living? I hope you aren't dependent on tourism or "out of town owners."

IMHO - 30A is simply expensive. $600 fishing charters (before tip), $15 fish sandwiches, $30 pizza's, etc. People choosing to stay at a Hampton Inn over the other beautiful rental properties or boutique hotels aren't likely to be heavy supporters of the local businesses.

There are many great opportunities to enhance 30A, but the Hampton/Hilton just isn't one of them.

Its disappointing to see a local person support this type of project. I would have expected an even more fierce stance against this sort of establishment since you have to see this and deal with the consequences on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with 'snobbery' it's about keeping the area unique and a special place for people to visit. BTW - PCB and Destin has the same beach, so your "lower income families" as you put it, already can enjoy the beach if this Hampton/Hilton is not built.

i can completely sympathize that the are has changed a lot over the last 40+ years, as most everywhere in the US has, but the reason you have the multitude of great local restaurants, shopping and why you have seen your property value skyrocket is all because of tourism and for "out of towners" choosing to invest in the area. i find it surprising that, you, as a local, aren't trying to preserve the special nature of the area.