• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Remember, Mike, even some locals do not understand the need for proper land use management or the necessity of compatibility for an area.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I heard there were more than 8500 signatures on the petition. If that's the case, if everyone who signed chipped in a couple of hundred you might be able to buy the property from the owner.

I heard there were more than 8500 signatures on the petition. If that's the case, if everyone who signed chipped in a couple of hundred you might be able to buy the property from the owner.
According to http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/fl_display_dw.php?county=fl_walton&KEY=24-3S-19-25030-000-0021, that would be $129 per signature. I'd gladly pay my part and someone else's (actually I have already made a donation). But that's not the point. This is a big deal for 30A. We need to set a precedent that we don't want such a proposal to happen again. We as individuals can't buy every vacant piece of property on 30A. We need to send a message to the Planning Commission and the BCC that we won't stand for this.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
According to http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/fl_display_dw.php?county=fl_walton&KEY=24-3S-19-25030-000-0021, that would be $129 per signature. I'd gladly pay my part and someone else's (actually I have already made a donation). But that's not the point. This is a big deal for 30A. We need to set a precedent that we don't want such a proposal to happen again. We as individuals can't buy every vacant piece of property on 30A. We need to send a message to the Planning Commission and the BCC that we won't stand for this.

Aren't legal precedents established by court decisions? I thought Jay Odom had already won that battle with the Grayton Grand litigation.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
I live here in a normal house in a normal neighborhood and I moved here for everything it is not. As I mentioned before, I have been in seriosly almost every beach town in this state. There are some places that are similar in attitude..Ponte Vedra, Aventura, Naples to some extent, for every 30a you have a Destin, for every Ponte Vedra you have a Jacksonville. So is it elitist to not want chain hotels and fast food places? Yes. These are establishments that we as residents do not want, if we did we probably would have moved to pcb. What makes Sowal special is what it isnt...developed. Take that away and you have any other Florida beach town. Don't let Hampton steal our mojo.

Well said! SoWal is special because of what it does not have.....chain hotels, chain restaurants, etc.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Aren't legal precedents established by court decisions? I thought Jay Odom had already won that battle with the Grayton Grand litigation.

Normally zoning or land use code decisions are decided on a case by case basis by the planning commission and the BCC. There is no precedent set by previous court decisions. Also, decisions are not normally fought by property owners unless you have a ton of money like Jay Odom has. If Walton County had ridgid zoning codes instead of vague land use codes, Jay Odom would never have won his case if his request did not fall in a proper zoning area. Proper zoning is the difference between controlled well planned growth and helter schelter development.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
:thanks:
Normally zoning or land use code decisions are decided on a case by case basis by the planning commission and the BCC. There is no precedent set by previous court decisions. Also, decisions are not normally fought by property owners unless you have a ton of money like Jay Odom has. If Walton County had ridgid zoning codes instead of vague land use codes, Jay Odom would never have won his case if his request did not fall in a proper zoning area. Proper zoning is the difference between controlled well planned growth and helter schelter development.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
The hotel should employ 30 people and do roughly 9 million a year, 90% occupancy, $275 night. FYI---condos are a helluva lot cheaper based on weekly pricing.

A Midtown Manhattan Hampton Inn wouldn't have a $275 ADR and maintain 90% occupancy. Both numbers are way, way too high.